Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth A Recon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worth A Recon?

I apped for Southwest Airlines Chase Tuesday evening and received letter today.

Reasons for denying credit are:

Credit report shows total available credit on accounts is too low  ($300 Cap 1, should increase to $500 anyday now)

Too few accounts on file for a sufficient amount of time ( Sept 10' Cap I)

Too many requests were made for new credit ( 3 in last 6 months)

They pulled Equifax and my current FICO score is 785

Is it even worth a Recon call?  Also, what questions will they ask?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Worth A Recon?

It never hurts to try. With a score like that, you should be good!

They will probably just ask about your income and occupation, living situation (rent or own), and what your housing payment is.

Is that capital one your only card? Do you have a balance on that card (or any card, if you have others)? showing on your CR? 

It looks like they think your utilization is too high and your file is too thin.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I apped for Southwest Airlines Chase Tuesday evening and received letter today.

Reasons for denying credit are:

Credit report shows total available credit on accounts is too low  ($300 Cap 1, should increase to $500 anyday now)

Too few accounts on file for a sufficient amount of time ( Sept 10' Cap I)

Too many requests were made for new credit ( 3 in last 6 months)

They pulled Equifax and my current FICO score is 785

Is it even worth a Recon call?  Also, what questions will they ask?

The one thing to remember is it never hurts to try for a recon! 

It looks more like you are new at having credit and are applying for different cards or you are starting your rebuilding process. IMO you should let the CC you have grow some and age a little. Applying to quickly for additional credit can actually hurt you more then help you. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the Cap1 is my only card right now.  Last month's ending statement balance was $17.  The only other TL reporting on my CR is a paid off car loan 06' through Ford Motor Credit.

I had several credit issues that have since fallen off my reports in the last 2 or so years.  Since I was showing baddies, I didn't even bother to have CC's, just paid cash and used my debit.

I know I have a very thin file, I just need some advice going forward.

Thank you for the advice!

Message 4 of 10
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Is the southwest card a visa signature? If so that can make it a harder card to get because it has a min. CL of 5k.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, the Cap1 is my only card right now.  Last month's ending statement balance was $17.  The only other TL reporting on my CR is a paid off car loan 06' through Ford Motor Credit.

I had several credit issues that have since fallen off my reports in the last 2 or so years.  Since I was showing baddies, I didn't even bother to have CC's, just paid cash and used my debit.

IMO chase or any other prime lender is no great idea at this point. You should look for a store card say JCP or any other GEMB card and ask for CLIs regularly, you need more Revolving history for any prime lender. Anything less than 1 year of history is too little. Once you have a say 1.5k or so line on ur store card (abt 6-8 months), that should be the point I will look for a prime lender. You can try a CU card somewhere like 3-4 months after you get a store card.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

OOPS, i forgot to say that you must ask for a recon anyway.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 7 of 10
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you thought about the idea of a secured card? While I understand that at times we feel our credit is more deserving, the reality is when credit is limited and thin the only thing to heal those processes is time. 

If you have some funds available to open a secured card preferably one that will unsecure over time IMO would probably be your best alternative presently. The other possibility is to visit a local CU and stop in and speak to someone and see if they can offer you anything. Just bring in a current CR with the date pulled the same day you visit CU so they can offer their opinions.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did the Recon and was denied Smiley Happy

I spoke with a real nice representative and they asked a few questions, then placed me on hold.  Fairly painless.

When he came back, he stated that I had the Cap I since late August 10'.  Too short of a revolving history with that card and was the main reason I was being denied.

I asked what they would consider a longer history with that card for approval and obviously they can't say for legal reasons.

At least I know where I stand with them and basically they want to see some aging.  It was a learning experience in of itself doing the recon.

Sound like I can app again in 6-9 months and likely not have any problems getting approved.

I'm still concerned about only one open CC TL right now?  Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Message 9 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I did the Recon and was denied Smiley Happy

I spoke with a real nice representative and they asked a few questions, then placed me on hold.  Fairly painless.

When he came back, he stated that I had the Cap I since late August 10'.  Too short of a revolving history with that card and was the main reason I was being denied.

I asked what they would consider a longer history with that card for approval and obviously they can't say for legal reasons.

At least I know where I stand with them and basically they want to see some aging.  It was a learning experience in of itself doing the recon.

Sound like I can app again in 6-9 months and likely not have any problems getting approved.

I'm still concerned about only one open CC TL right now?  Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Hi there.

Yes in a perfect world it would be better for you to have more than one CC but right now my advice is to just stop worrying about it and wait 6-12 months and while you wait do all the research you can to find the card that works best for your own unique financial situation. Don't apply for cards just because you can; apply for cards that will help to grow and rebuild.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.