Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth Applying for US Bank Cash+?

tag
kromix
New Contributor

Worth Applying for US Bank Cash+?

So I know it's been nerfed recently, but it's still one of the best CashBack cards out in my opinion....

Looking for opinions from people who know how US Bank Operates and want to give their best guess on if it's worth applying for the card under the assumption they don't do away with it, or nerf it again, and if they do, is US Bank the type of place that will offer something as good in its place we can PC to?

What I'm trying to avoid is applying for the card and it ending, getting nerfed again, etc.....

Kind of worried, it just came out and they already cut it down alot and now you can only apply in a branch, so it's like they want no1 to have it.... Discontinue soon??

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Worth Applying for US Bank Cash+?

Right now?  Not really, unless you don't have better options for their limited 5% categories.

Message 2 of 8
kromix
New Contributor

I don't really need it between Discover IT/BCE/PenFed/USAA AMEX, the only thing I covet is the Restauants 5%... I do eat out alot, the most I get is from Chase Ink @ 2% ;\

Here's my breakdown:

Everything Else
1.25% - USAA Amex
1.00% - Discover IT 
1.00% - AMEX BCE
1.00% - Chase Ink
0.25% - PenFed Cash Rewards

Gas
5% - PenFed Cash Rewards
2.25% - USAA Amex
2%  - AMEX BCE
2% - Chase Ink

Groceries
3% - AMEX BCE
2.25% USAA Amex

Dept Stores
2% - AMEX BCE

Restaurants
2% - Chase Ink

Office Supply Stores
5% - Chase Ink

Cellular/Internet/CableTV
5% - Chase Ink
Message 3 of 8
Open123
Super Contributor

You can use them for 5% retaurants, department stores and charities, I suppose.  And, round it off with the 2% drugstores.  If you can spare the inquiry and new account cost, I think the card has a place, albeit a small one in your rewards arsenal.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
romey050500
New Contributor

Navy Federal FLagship Visa is 2% everything?? right?

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Message 5 of 8
kromix
New Contributor

@romey050500 wrote:

Navy Federal FLagship Visa is 2% everything?? right?

I have the regular NFCU Platinum.... I'm not sure if the Flagship = 2% but there is an annual fee.....

Message 6 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

It's not as good as it used to be, but for a no-AF card, it's still decent I suppose.

You can rotate around categories to work around Freedom / Discover, and it helps if there's a certain category that you have no problem maxing out anyways.

For a cashback card it does what it's supposed to pretty well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

In some sense, if you have enough credit record "room" for additional apps, any card that offers a niche is worth getting.   Since most people have limits, the question is whether a particular card is the one worth spending an HP on.

This of course depends on how much you can get back from the niche, and what the niche is depends on your other cards.

So since I have the Fidelity Amex (for all 2% categories) and the  Citi Forward that (for now) covers restaurants, bookstores, movies etc, the major opportunity for Cash Plus is in the cell phone category (as I don't have the Ink).   If I didn't already have the card, I would probably choose to apply for the Ink instead.

And for anyone, is the reward you get back on this card, worth more than say the $400 straight bonus on some Barclaycards/CSP etc.     Nerfing really reduced the value proposition for this card, but it might still be right for some.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.