Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth calling for RECON?

tag
sailortwerk
New Visitor

Worth calling for RECON?

To start this topic I must state this: I am 23 years old. I work fulltime and I am also a fulltime student at a four year university. I made some poor decisions a few years ago. I married too young and within a year and a half I was knee-deep in a nasty divorce. A casualty of my divorce was that I was left broke and unable to pay a few of my credit accounts. Those accounts have since gone into collections. I have settle two of the accounts (paid for less than the full amount) and one is still open in collections. I had not opened a new credit account since this happened. In March of this year I was able to open a secured credit card with Bank of America ($300 CL). This boosted my score a lot. It has since gone from around 585 to 615. I have also opened a Fingerhut account ($500 CL). One of the accounts that went into collections was a Capital One account. I was able to open a secured line with them this weekend (4/12). I have made the deposit but have yet to know what the CL of that card is. I have also been able to refiance my car through a CU (initial loan $22,400, 11.89% APR, 72 months, $440 per month / new loan $13,600, 10.00% APR, $298 per month, 72 months).

*sighs* That was a lot. I don't blame you if TL;DR.

NOW... My question is...

I applied for a Discover IT Student on 4/12, the same day I was approved for the CO card. Denied. They then gave me a link to apply with a co-signer. I don't have anyone to co-sign with. I am on my own and paying my own way. Would it be worth to call for a RECON?

Also...

I applied for the Barclay Rewards Mastercard via Credit Karm's recommendations. I was denied. They send a letter stating the denial as based on severe delinquencies that I listed above. Is this worth a RECON call? I really need funding to buy a new laptop for school, and I'd like to apply for Barclay's Apple Financing but don't want to risk another hard hit. Is it worth it?

My TU score on Ck is 615.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Worth calling for RECON?

Honestly, not worth it on both fronts. You could always try, though.
Message 2 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Barclay is good with recon but Discover may not be. You took the hit already so the worst they can do is say no. I reconed my Barclay Ring to get it and they did do a second HP. Checkout helpful threads at the top of the page for backdoor numbers. Good Luck!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 7
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

Usually it's worth the try, what's the worse they can say? No, again? Amex is the only one not worth it.

On a side note I was looking at your refinance. You said the original loan was $22k @12% for 72 months and now it's $13k @ 10% for 72 months. Were you 3 years into the 6 year loan or did you pay a lump recently to knock it down to $13k. I ask becuase it seems like you "restarted" your loan and added another 3 years to get a smaller payment.

Message 4 of 7
sailortwerk
New Visitor

@DrZoiberg

I paid around $600 per month until I dropped the amount down to $13,000. 3 years until maturity. I made sure I did not "restart" this loan.

Message 5 of 7
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

I applied for the Barclay Rewards Mastercard via Credit Karm's recommendations. I was denied. They send a letter stating the denial as based on severe delinquencies that I listed above. Is this worth a RECON call? I really need funding to buy a new laptop for school, and I'd like to apply for Barclay's Apple Financing but don't want to risk another hard hit. Is it worth it?

My TU score on Ck is 615.  

A word of advice: do not heed CK's advice on anything. It's worthless.

CK score is a FAKO, by the way. Lenders don't use it.

Message 6 of 7
sailortwerk
New Visitor

@thelethargicage Thank you for the advice. I wasn't aware of that.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.