cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth converting NFCU Cash Rewards to Flagship?

tag
JoeBanks

Worth converting NFCU Cash Rewards to Flagship?

I currently have a 20K NFCU Cash rewards Signature. I use this card as my everyday card and just about everything that isn't business related goes onto it. I recently was reading the changes to the Flagship rewards program and became interested. Would it be a smart move to absorb the $49 annual fee on the Flagship for the rewards that are offered?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
electra
Established Contributor

Re: Worth converting NFCU Cash Rewards to Flagship?

Glad you asked...I have the same question.  <subscribe!>

Message 2 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I think that there is no harm in opening the Flagship...  One overseas trip with no Forex fees will definately help with having the card pay for itself. 

You can always move a portion of your cash card over to open the new flagship, keeping 15k on the cash, and 5k on the Flagship.  Also consider that Flagship points never expire Smiley Very Happy

If you move credit lines to open the new account, you won't get a HP

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 14
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

How will that affect the tradelines? Will it report as a new acct?
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 4 of 14
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditJunkie917 wrote:

Yes, it reports as a new account... Opened since 05/2013

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have a thread about this... My partner applied for Flagship as we currently have the cash sigi, Navy said for now the $35k on the cash was enough credit line but if he wanted to use some of that line they would be happy to open the Flagship.... So he took $5k from cash and opened a sigi.

Sigi is going to be our new daily card, especially after the recent Amex FR and such... We left $30k on cash because my thinking is we know that any CLI request with Navy over $25k is HP, lets leave as much as possible there so we don't have to ask for long long time and we are seeing CLI 2-3 months into a new account with either HP for first request and then SP in the future so I figure put $5k on the new Flagship and in 3 months just request it to go to $25k which if it is in the SP system it will give it or counter and see from there! Smiley Happy

I'm SUPER happy with Navy as usual and now in full press trying to convince my partner that his 14 year history with Wells IS NOT getting him anything special moving forward and we should bank 95% with Navy!!

Message 6 of 14
Datx
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@CreditJunkie917 wrote:

Yes, it reports as a new account... Opened since 05/2013

Sucks that it reports as a new account. Do they not keep the account number the same?

Message 7 of 14
JoeBanks

Thanks for the input everyone. If that is the case (product change generates new acnt# and open date) then I most likely won't be making the change. 

Message 8 of 14
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I would not switch. I have had both.  I now only have the cashRewards. 

Flagship will charge you $49 on your first statement for the annual fee. 

You will have to accumulate a ton of points to get up to 2% back.  I'd rather stick with cashRewards. Both are Visa Signatures.  I anticipate that NFCU will be rolling out a 3-2-1 or quarterly bonus program in the near future. I'm not a fan of annual fees. 

My counter argument against the 0% foreign transaction fee is the annual fee. If, and this is a BIG IF, you spend so much time out of the country than it might be worth it, but there are plenty of no FTF no annual fees out there. It's a nice perk, but I tend to think most people dont leave the country enough to justify the annual fee.  Also, the FTF on the cashRewards is only 1% which is very low. 

Keep the cashRewards. I recently cashed in $0.25 to test the no min limit, and it went instantly to my savings account unlike Chase UR which takes 3 days or so to credit your account. 

Unless you push $2K plus a month through the card, keep the CR card

Message 9 of 14
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

+1. transferred $28 the other day and went through without issue

Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.