Established Contributor
pattycake

Re: Worth it to ask Chase for a CLI right now?

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

pattycake wrote:

I know they do a hard pull, but they are offering BTs of 0% for six months, or 3.99% for the next year and a half. I want to pay off my Citi and other cards.  My CL is currently $3700 and I want to ask for $10K, and see if they'll even give me at least $5K.   

My scores are below and I've had a really good payment history with them.   

I don't like this plan. It is asking for trouble.
Hmm - why?  I wouldn't max it out but want to take advantage of it.  I still have low BT offers from BofA, but the rate is slightly higher.  Please share your thoughts, I am indeed interested in knowing what my fellow FICO'ers think.  

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Frequent Contributor
illtakecreditforthat

pattycake wrote:

I know they do a hard pull, but they are offering BTs of 0% for six months, or 3.99% for the next year and a half. I want to pay off my Citi and other cards.  My CL is currently $3700 and I want to ask for $10K, and see if they'll even give me at least $5K.   

I agree. 

pattycake, by your own statement your previous Chase CLIs were auto-generated.  As were mine.  I think allowing Chase do a hard pull and see outstanding balances on other cards could be a problem. Just curious, what is your UTIL on all cards?

I want PATIENCE...and I want it NOW
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

pattycake wrote:

pattycake wrote:

Hmm - why?  I wouldn't max it out but want to take advantage of it.  I still have low BT offers from BofA, but the rate is slightly higher.  Please share your thoughts, I am indeed interested in knowing what my fellow FICO'ers think.  

1) Requesting a CLI invites scrutiny and a definite hard INQ, and

2) Carrying a balance invites AA. (They won't RJ the BT. But they can and will RJ the purchase APR.)

Sometimes it is better to FUTR. I have a Providian -> WaMu -> Chase account that so far has not been touched. I am not messing with whatever mojo is working for me. Just because your account is an original Chase account does not provide protection against AA. If I had other alternatives I would not burn a hard INQ to pursue this. I would even call BofA and ask them for a better BT offer before I would go to Chase. -OR- You have good enough scores, app for something new with Citi and you might just get a 12 month, 0% APR BT offer.

Established Contributor
pattycake

pattycake wrote:

pattycake wrote:

1) Requesting a CLI invites scrutiny and a definite hard INQ, and

2) Carrying a balance invites AA. (They won't RJ the BT. But they can and will RJ the purchase APR.)

Sometimes it is better to FUTR. I have a Providian -> WaMu -> Chase account that so far has not been touched. I am not messing with whatever mojo is working for me. Just because your account is an original Chase account does not provide protection against AA. If I had other alternatives I would not burn a hard INQ to pursue this. I would even call BofA and ask them for a better BT offer before I would go to Chase. -OR- You have good enough scores, app for something new with Citi and you might just get a 12 month, 0% APR BT offer.

Not sure I want to bring down my AAoA down any more.  I'm already at four years, 11 months.  I've always PIF'd my Chase account, since the APR is at 14.9% (rewards cash card).  

If you all smell something foul in the Chase air, I'll carry a small balance and just pay it off over time.  I'm not about to mess with my rebuilt FICO mojo.  

Cap One is also doing a 0% offer on some of their cards - thoughts?   

pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
New Contributor
emasta

It was a WAMU Plat. opened 12/06 and converted to Chase freedom in April. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}