Reply
New Visitor
TS91
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-28-2013
0

Worth it to close one of my credit cards?

Hello, first time poster here! I have been wondering about my question for awhile, and figured this would be the best place to ask. Currently I have 2 credit cards. One I got in 2009, it was my first card so I didn't end up picking the best one since I was wasn't as informed (IE no rewards, and has a 40 dollar annual fee). I recently got a different card in April of this year. 

 

The question I have, since these are basically my only  2 things on my credit history (I'm in college), would it be bad to cancel my 4 year old card so I don't get stuck with a $40 fee each year. Either way I am going to call and try and see if they will waive it, but if not I was thinking about just canceling it. Both cards I keep at low balances, the first card has a $500 limit and my most recent one has $1500. I always pay each off each month if I use it and don't carry any balances month to month.

 

Thanks for any answers/advice, and I apologize if this isn't the right section to ask in!

Community Leader
Mega Contributor
coldnmn
Posts: 14,883
Registered: ‎08-08-2011
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?

Welcome to the forums.  If they won't waive the annual fee it will still be a positive TL for ten years as long as it's paid off in good standing when closed. 

My Wallet /US Bank Cash+ Signature $10,000/ Ace US Bank Signature $10,000 / Sam's Mastercard $8000
/ Walmart Mastercard $8000 / Discover IT $5000 / Care Credit $5000
/ Husqvarna $5000 / PayPal SmartConnect $4800 / Cap1 Quicksilver $4000 / Barclay Ring $3550
Last App 8/12/14 /

New Contributor
Bluebonnet
Posts: 104
Registered: ‎07-16-2013
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?

Agree with cold.

 

If they won't waive the annual fee, then it will still show as a positive TL on your reports for 10 years.  Completely up to you if you want to close it, but it won't hurt you in any way since you don't carry a balance on the other card (won't affect utility in a negative way).

 

Welcome to the forum!  



Last app: 10/4/14
In the garden until Winter of 2016
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
SunriseEarth
Posts: 4,442
Registered: ‎08-12-2013
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?


coldnmn wrote:

Welcome to the forums.  If they won't waive the annual fee it will still be a positive TL for ten years as long as it's paid off in good standing when closed. 


+1

 

However, the OP will have a drop in UTIL.  So be careful with the balance on the newer card (sounds like you're already doing that, tho)


Start: 619 (Wally, 9/2013) | Current: 674 (Wally, 11/8/14), 703 (EQ myFICO 8/13/14)
Care Credit $10200 | JCP $5000 | Walmart Store $5000 | Amazon Store $5000 | AMEX BCE $4500 | Cap 1 QS1 $4000 | AMEX Costco TE $3500 | Macy's Special Events $2900 | Macy's Revolving $2500 | CU Visa $2500 | Sony Card $2500 | Macy's AMEX $1500 | Citi DC WMC $1200 | Merrick $1200 | VS $1150 | Gold Violin $1150 | Target $1000 | ~~Gardening Since 11/14/14
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,644
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?


TS91 wrote:

Hello, first time poster here! I have been wondering about my question for awhile, and figured this would be the best place to ask. Currently I have 2 credit cards. One I got in 2009, it was my first card so I didn't end up picking the best one since I was wasn't as informed (IE no rewards, and has a 40 dollar annual fee). I recently got a different card in April of this year. 

 

The question I have, since these are basically my only  2 things on my credit history (I'm in college), would it be bad to cancel my 4 year old card so I don't get stuck with a $40 fee each year. Either way I am going to call and try and see if they will waive it, but if not I was thinking about just canceling it. Both cards I keep at low balances, the first card has a $500 limit and my most recent one has $1500. I always pay each off each month if I use it and don't carry any balances month to month.

 

Thanks for any answers/advice, and I apologize if this isn't the right section to ask in!


The card with AF and no rewards before canceling it can you please share who the lender is ....There may be other options than closing?

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13


Valued Contributor
takeshi74
Posts: 3,020
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?

[ Edited ]

Worth is always highly subjective.  Have you read the sticky in this subforum on closing accounts?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/td-p/347190

 


TS91 wrote:

Both cards I keep at low balances, the first card has a $500 limit and my most recent one has $1500. I always pay each off each month if I use it and don't carry any balances month to month.

 


Unless you're paying off the balances prior to statement close then balances are reporting.  Calculate the change in utilization before you make any decisions.  You're losing 25% of your total revolving limits by closing it.

Frequent Contributor
MissCredit9
Posts: 422
Registered: ‎08-08-2013
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?

Depending on which lender it is you may be able to do a product change to a card with a good rewards structure and no annual fee, and possibly even get a credit limit increase. Which card is it?

AMEX PRG NPSL, CITI DIAMOND PREFERRED 20K, FIDELITY AMEX 20K, CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED 15K, AMEX DELTA SKYMILES GOLD 6K, CHASE MARRIOTT PREMIER 5K, BARCLAYCARD REWARDS MASTERCARD 4K, CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER 3K, AMAZON STORECARD 6K, VICTORIAS SECRET 1050, EXPRESS NEXT 650
Valued Contributor
armbenderc
Posts: 1,339
Registered: ‎09-11-2012
0

Re: Worth it to close one of my credit cards?


myjourney wrote:

TS91 wrote:

Hello, first time poster here! I have been wondering about my question for awhile, and figured this would be the best place to ask. Currently I have 2 credit cards. One I got in 2009, it was my first card so I didn't end up picking the best one since I was wasn't as informed (IE no rewards, and has a 40 dollar annual fee). I recently got a different card in April of this year. 

 

The question I have, since these are basically my only  2 things on my credit history (I'm in college), would it be bad to cancel my 4 year old card so I don't get stuck with a $40 fee each year. Either way I am going to call and try and see if they will waive it, but if not I was thinking about just canceling it. Both cards I keep at low balances, the first card has a $500 limit and my most recent one has $1500. I always pay each off each month if I use it and don't carry any balances month to month.

 

Thanks for any answers/advice, and I apologize if this isn't the right section to ask in!


The card with AF and no rewards before canceling it can you please share who the lender is ....There may be other options than closing?


Agreed, also can you not PC to another card with same lender? Call the EO line if that is posible. Tell them that you have acct since '09 and see what they can do for you.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}