Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would AMEX PRG fit my spending pattern?

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Would AMEX PRG fit my spending pattern?

I spend about $1,300 or so a month on the AMEX for bills and other items. I fly maybe once or twice a year.

All of my grocery spending goes through AMEX, Gas I usually go though Chase/Discover on 5% months but when they are not available it would go to AMEX.

I want to keep my PC to a charge card so with the PRG or a different one make sense?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Would AMEX PRG fit my spending pattern?

LS, I am curious as well. I want to apply for a charge card but unsure which one. Your spending pattern pretty much matches mine.
Message 2 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You have to spend 30k in one year to get the 15k MR bonus points. To do this, you pretty much have to make it your goto card for everything..

TBH, for most folks its just not worth it. However, it is a great card, great benefits...
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 25
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

I just cancelled mine. Mainly because if you have a lot of cards, it did not make sense for me to try to keep it in the rotation, for $175 a year. I use my BCP for groceries, and Discover, Freedom, and Dividend for gas when it is a 5% category. When it is not 5%, I can use BCP for gas. I seem to get better use from the combo of CSP and Cash + (or ant card that has a 5% cash back for hotels, etc.). So it was hard for me to put enough spend on it to justify the AF. For a person who only has/maintains a few cards, it may work. But when you have a lot of options, it is too costly, IMO.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 4 of 25
winner88
Contributor

You don't spend enough to make a PRG pay for itself.. 

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 5 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@winner88 wrote:

Nope, and nor do I LS.

This is why it will be cancelled in January. I just wanted the 30K MR sign-up bonus.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Repo-ed wrote:

@winner88 wrote:

Nope, and nor do I LS.

This is why it will be cancelled in January. I just wanted the 30K MR sign-up bonus.

So what charge card would be a good fit for me?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 25
GoldenloveNY
Frequent Contributor

If you patripate in the small business Saturday promo, the AF will be $150 (-$25). That means you have to spend at least $15,000 to break even. $1,300 x 12 months equals $15,600. You broke even, and made rougly $6 in profit. You fly once or twice a year, so that will probably get you 600-1,000+ of extra bonus, depending where you are flying, how many tickets, etc. How much profit you are making using this card? Not much. It is, however, a shiny gold card. Smiley Wink
Citi Double Cash: $1,000
Capital One Secured: $500
Capital One Savor One: $1,650
Amex Gold- NPSL.
Amex Platinum- NPSL.
Amex Delta Gold: $1,000
Best Buy Store Credit Card: $2,000
Amazon Store Credit Card: $6,000
Verizon Visa Card: $2,000

Bj's Perks Elite Mastercard: $2,300

Merrick Credit Card: $1,400
First Savings Credit Card: $1,250
Message 8 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@GoldenloveNY wrote:
If you patripate in the small business Saturday promo, the AF will be $150 (-$25). That means you have to spend at least $15,000 to break even. $1,300 x 12 months equals $15,600. You broke even, and made rougly $6 in profit. You fly once or twice a year, so that will probably get you 600-1,000+ of extra bonus, depending where you are flying, how many tickets, etc. How much profit you are making using this card? Not much. It is, however, a shiny gold card. Smiley Wink

I do participate in that.

Eh, i'm gonna check out the other cards and see if they make sense for me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

The only one I really like is the PRG. The others are kinda bland / almost the same as the Unicorn.

Choices.....Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.