cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would AMEX PRG fit my spending pattern?

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Would AMEX PRG fit my spending pattern?

@GoldenloveNY wrote:
If you patripate in the small business Saturday promo, the AF will be $150 (-$25). That means you have to spend at least $15,000 to break even. $1,300 x 12 months equals $15,600. You broke even, and made rougly $6 in profit. You fly once or twice a year, so that will probably get you 600-1,000+ of extra bonus, depending where you are flying, how many tickets, etc. How much profit you are making using this card? Not much. It is, however, a shiny gold card. Smiley Wink

For this sort of analysis, you have to compare alternatives and depends how you value the points.  So from a strict cash-back view, spending $15K on this card covers the annual fee (after small biz promo).  But the same $15K on a 2% card would have earned $300, (so you are $150 behind with this card), and some portion on a 5 or 6% makes it worse.

But many of course value these points at more than 1c per point.

Message 11 of 25
Open123
Super Contributor

Unless your spend is primaily airfare, it's hard to justify this card's fee without hitting the $30K spend.  On the other hand, if you do spend $30K per year with airline travel, this is possibly the "best" card if you value MR points.

As bs6054 aptly points out, there is also the opportunity cost lost on using the spend on this card that could have gotten...say...2% cashack on the Priceline card for free.  With Amex charge cards, the best non spend value one is the Platinum one, ironically their most expensive one.

Message 12 of 25
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Repo-ed wrote:

@winner88 wrote:

You don't spend enough to make a PRG pay for itself.. 

Nope, and nor do I LS.

This is why it will be cancelled in January. I just wanted the 30K MR sign-up bonus.

So what charge card would be a good fit for me?

You honestly don't spend enough to justify any charge card, muchless the PRG. $1,300 per month equates to around 15k per year. At that level of spending you should focus on a no AF cash back card.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 25
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

The value of the PRG is very much a YMMV thing. Many people here say that it is only worth it if you hit the spend bonus or if you fly all the time, etc, etc. my spend is similar to yours and I think it's a fantastic card for me. It's all about what amount of your spend is in each category and the value you can get out of the points. From another post of mine:

"I have had the PRG for 7 months. It is now receiving every bit of my spend. In total is has seen $9.2k spend over the last 7 months, and has amassed a whopping 15k MR points (that's a lot to me at least, and, granted, I am still waiting on some to post). That's 1.63 points per dollar on my spend. The points are worth anywhere from 1-2 cpp if redeemed on travel/transfers. I travel at least once or twice a year, so I will use them as such. Let's assume 1.5 cpp. That's $225 back in 7 months. I pay $175 per year in AF (although this year was waved). I save $25 because with the roadside assistance because it lets me drop my coverage from my insurance company. I'm plus $75 right now. Extrapolate this to a year and I net $235 after the AF on $18.5k in spend. At 2 cents per point I'd net $365 on $18.5k in spend. That's an overall return of 1.27% or 1.97%, respectively. All with the benefits of NPSL and backed by Amex's purchase protection. This doesn't include the occasional useful offers either.

Now let's consider a "perfect" scenario for me - I get a 50% bonus for a British Airways transfer. Those 15k MR points turn into 22.5k miles. I have often seen 2 cpp redemption possibilities. Extrapolate to a year and I have 38.5k points. At 2 cpp, that's $770 back. Minus the $175 AF. Plus the $25 saved on roadside assistance. That's a net of $620 on $18.5k spend, or 3.35% back."

So for the OP this may actually be a good card. You just need to analyze your spend and figure out whether or not it works for you. Don't be discouraged by the $30k spend. I am doing much better with this card rewards-wise (not to mention benefits) than I would with my simple cash-back, rotating category Dividend card. Granted, I prefer to use one card for everything so I think that helps.
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 14 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:
The value of the PRG is very much a YMMV thing. Many people here say that it is only worth it if you hit the spend bonus or if you fly all the time, etc, etc. my spend is similar to yours and I think it's a fantastic card for me. It's all about what amount of your spend is in each category and the value you can get out of the points. From another post of mine:

"I have had the PRG for 7 months. It is now receiving every bit of my spend. In total is has seen $9.2k spend over the last 7 months, and has amassed a whopping 15k MR points (that's a lot to me at least, and, granted, I am still waiting on some to post). That's 1.63 points per dollar on my spend. The points are worth anywhere from 1-2 cpp if redeemed on travel/transfers. I travel at least once or twice a year, so I will use them as such. Let's assume 1.5 cpp. That's $225 back in 7 months. I pay $175 per year in AF (although this year was waved). I save $25 because with the roadside assistance because it lets me drop my coverage from my insurance company. I'm plus $75 right now. Extrapolate this to a year and I net $235 after the AF on $18.5k in spend. At 2 cents per point I'd net $365 on $18.5k in spend. That's an overall return of 1.27% or 1.97%, respectively. All with the benefits of NPSL and backed by Amex's purchase protection. This doesn't include the occasional useful offers either.

Now let's consider a "perfect" scenario for me - I get a 50% bonus for a British Airways transfer. Those 15k MR points turn into 22.5k miles. I have often seen 2 cpp redemption possibilities. Extrapolate to a year and I have 38.5k points. At 2 cpp, that's $770 back. Minus the $175 AF. Plus the $25 saved on roadside assistance. That's a net of $620 on $18.5k spend, or 3.35% back."

So for the OP this may actually be a good card. You just need to analyze your spend and figure out whether or not it works for you. Don't be discouraged by the $30k spend. I am doing much better with this card rewards-wise (not to mention benefits) than I would with my simple cash-back, rotating category Dividend card. Granted, I prefer to use one card for everything so I think that helps.

Appreciate your response!!

Question: Is there any members here just taking advantage of the no AF 1st year and cancelling or PC'ing because it doesn't meet their spending pattern?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 15 of 25
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Question: Are there any members here just taking advantage of the no AF 1st year and cancelling or PC'ing because it doesn't meet their spending pattern?

Yep, me Smiley Happy  I opened the PRG last June purely out of joy of getting pre-approved for it in the mail. I put some spend through it, including my last semester's tuition, but have all but sock drawered it since.  I was approved for the BCP in early January, so all of the groceries and gas that went to the PRG now go there.  I'm also using the BCP as my everyday card since I'm riding under 0% APR for a year as well (am floating a balance for a few months).

I'm not sure when exactly the AF is going to hit (I opened my acct. 6/1/12), but I plan on closing it at the end of April.  I'll more than likely re-open it at some point in the future when my career/income can justify it.

I'm going to second what some others' have said - for that amount of spend, you're better off getting a no fee card that offers 2% CB overrall.  The Priceline Visa would likely be your best bet.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 16 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@leoment wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

Question: Are there any members here just taking advantage of the no AF 1st year and cancelling or PC'ing because it doesn't meet their spending pattern?

Yep, me Smiley Happy  I opened the PRG last June purely out of joy of getting pre-approved for it in the mail. I put some spend through it, including my last semester's tuition, but have all but sock drawered it since.  I was approved for the BCP in early January, so all of the groceries and gas that went to the PRG now go there.  I'm also using the BCP as my everyday card since I'm riding under 0% APR for a year as well (am floating a balance for a few months).

I'm not sure when exactly the AF is going to hit (I opened my acct. 6/1/12), but I plan on closing it at the end of April.  I'll more than likely re-open it at some point in the future when my career/income can justify it.

I'm going to second what some others' have said - for that amount of spend, you're better off getting a no fee card that offers 2% CB overrall.  The Priceline Visa would likely be your best bet.

I'm in the garden and I don't want a new account. I'm interested in PC'ing my Unicorn card because of the now lackluster rewards on it.

I like having a charge card and would like to continue using one, so picking up the PRG sounds pretty good to me.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 25
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

I'm in the garden and I don't want a new account. I'm interested in PC'ing my Unicorn card because of the now lackluster rewards on it.

I like having a charge card and would like to continue using one, so picking up the PRG sounds pretty good to me.

Oh, I just went back and re-read your first post - I must have skimmed over you mentioning a PC Woman Embarassed

Then yes, the PRG is your best bet to PC to.  If there's any way you can get them to waive the AF for the first year, it's definitely worth trying out to see how you reap the benefits.

Hang in the garden though - you started gardening 2 days before I did, and we both are striving for at least a year  Smiley Happy  We can do this!

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 18 of 25
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@leoment wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ramblin_wreck08 wrote:

I was under the impression that we could not PC our unicorns to anything.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 19 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Repo

As of 4/15/13 you will be able to PC the Unicorn. Not sure if its just to another charge card but you can PC.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.