cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would This Qualify For AMEX Purchase Protection?

tag
Jmbeebe0722

Would This Qualify For AMEX Purchase Protection?

I bought an electronic item at a large name furniture and electronic store... The salesman talked me into purchasing the exact same item as an "open box" item, as they are throughly checked... etc etc. Well to my suprise, when I got home with this item, doesn't work.. So now that I have pumped out $450 dollars, I take it back up to the store, to see if they can exchange it for me.  Even if I have to pay the extra money. Well what the salesman failed to mention is that their open box items are finals, no returns, no exchanges... So now I am stuck with a product that doesn't work and $450 charged to my AmEx. 

I used AMEX Purchase Protection, once in the past and had wonderful results. Just curious if anyone has had something similar in which the made a claim.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Would This Qualify For AMEX Purchase Protection?

It may not qualify for purchase protection since its already defective before you bought it. I'm not too sure on this though.

However, whenever you receive any defective goods from a merchant, you can always file a dispute against that merchant, and the bank, which is Amex in this case, will start a dispute process to get the money back from the merchant. I have done this in the past with an uncooperative merchant on eBay, and it worked in my favor. I used a Wells Fargo visa then for that purchase.

Eitherways, I think you should be covered.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Would This Qualify For AMEX Purchase Protection?

@enharu wrote:
It may not qualify for purchase protection since its already defective before you bought it. I'm not too sure on this though.

However, whenever you receive any defective goods from a merchant, you can always file a dispute against that merchant, and the bank, which is Amex in this case, will start a dispute process to get the money back from the merchant. I have done this in the past with an uncooperative merchant on eBay, and it worked in my favor. I used a Wells Fargo visa then for that purchase.

Eitherways, I think you should be covered.

+1

Under typical situations, Amex sides with the consumer first, which most merchants hate.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.