cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would my CU be willing to grant me a CLI under this circumstances?

tag
mnavas
Frequent Contributor

Would my CU be willing to grant me a CLI under this circumstances?

I currently have a credit card with my local CU. The current CL is $4,000 and it's been sitting like that for over a year

I really love my CU Visa because of the low APR (8.9%) and they also send me promotional Letters from time to time offering me to take advantage of a lower APR (6.9 %) for a couple of months.

I'd really love to get up my CL to $10,000 but i have two concerns: My current Overall CLs are over $45,000 and my income is only $28,000

My Credit scores are in the range of 720-740 and my current utilization is 9% and a clean report- no baddies at all 

Do you guys think that my local CU would be willing to get up my CL to $10,000?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Would my CU be willing to grant me a CLI under this circumstances?

Can't hurt to try unless it's a HP and you don't wish to burn one 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Util I think will play way more into cli then your overall cl to income.

your other cl's warrant higher cl with your cu too.

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@mnavas wrote:

Do you guys think that my local CU would be willing to get up my CL to $10,000? 

Impossible for us to say.  We don't know your CU's underwriting criteria.  Or your credit.  Best way to find out is to request the CLI or see if you can find out what they're specifically looking for.

Message 4 of 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

witrh most CU accounts after 1 year of the account opening you'll usually receive an automatic 10% of CL increase as a "thank you" 

typically most CU's don't automatically CLI w/o you initiating it and usually requiring a HP to get it.  

i have an account that i opened back in 2009 @ 10K  1yr upped to 11K automatically... i kept pestering them over the years for some increase w/o HP and no dice.  i bit the bullet last month and jumped from 11K -> 29K w/ 1 HP and my scores really didn't change at all with the HP.  i also did the same with my other 3 CU accounts and they all doubled or more except 1 due to limited relationship aka no checking / DD with them currently but did get a RR to 6.9% from 9.9%.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.