Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would new CC raise or lower my score

tag
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Re: Would new CC raise or lower my score

As stated, if you are lucky enough to have an Amex or had an Amex in the past get another, your AAOA wouldn't take a hit that way (or less of a hit at least. If you don't/havent had an Amex may be a good idea to add one to your portfolio for future back dating.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 11 of 15
NikoD
Regular Contributor

Unfortunately I've never had an Amex. I've only ever had 3 major CCs. The Mastercard that was cancelled for not using it and a Visa and a Discover, that I currently still have, which I got when I was still a teen. I don't actually need another card because the limits on the two I have are high enough that I never get anywhere near the limits. I just thought that since there is not much on my credit report to look at another TL might prove beneficial down the line. Is this sound reasoning or since it's just another CC and not something more diverse does it not make a difference? Also, since I already use less than 10% of the available credit on the cards would a better credit utilization ratio even matter or is anything below 10% viewed the same?

Message 12 of 15
user5387
Valued Contributor

You might want to add a new account occasionally to show some signs of life, and smooth out the AAoA fluctuations.

There may be a personal optimum utilization level for you below 10%, which you can only figure out by experimentation.

Another point here is that individual lenders may want to see a thicker portfolio.

Message 13 of 15
NikoD
Regular Contributor

What about diversity? Aside from getting a loan is there anything else that works for that? Are charge cards viewed the same way as credit cards? What about store cards like a Target card? Are all types of cards treated as if they are regular credit cards when calculating the score?

Message 14 of 15
Smooth954
Regular Contributor

Wow nice score.  Not sure what your situation is but if it would allow I would look into a mortgage even as an investment property. As far as installment loans a mortgage might be way more beneficial to your score than a car loan not to mention the equity possibility. That just my thoughts though other than that another credit I don't think will drop your score too drastically and after a few months you should recover from those loses with good payment history which you don't seem to have an issue with if you have been able to pay your accounts in full for all those years. Good luck with what ever you choose to do please keep us posted. 

Myfico (7/16/14): EQ:736, EX:678(Prosper 7/16/14), TU:691(5/29/14)
Wallet:

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.