Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would opening new cc help my score?

tag
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

Would opening new cc help my score?

First i want to say-- I am officially out of cc debt!!!!! Woohoo!!!!

Now... I've been working on my fico score for a long time, and as of today I am at EQ 653. I have no cc debt, but I have several old baddies that are bringing my score down. (3 old cc charge offs and 1 collection)

I'm wondering if opening another cc would help my score by giving me more available credit or if I need to just wait for my score to get better on its own over time. The 3 charge offs that are still reporting are about $8k total. My highest CL cc is only $2k. The others are around $1100-$300 each.

Thoughts? Thank you for any input!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Would opening new cc help my score?

@Laurenlou wrote:

Now... I've been working on my fico score for a long time, and as of today I am at EQ 653. I have no cc debt, but I have several old baddies that are bringing my score down. (3 old cc charge offs and 1 collection)

I'm wondering if opening another cc would help my score by giving me more available credit or if I need to just wait for my score to get better on its own over time. The 3 charge offs that are still reporting are about $8k total. My highest CL cc is only $2k. The others are around $1100-$300 each.

IMO I would garden until your baddies come off. New available credit isnt going to boost your score because you have no balances.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 11
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

That makes sense... Just to clarify, my three baddies that are still reporting all have balances. Those balances equal about $8k (stupid cap1 had an initial balance of $2k, but that has grown to $6500 in the last 6 years! Grrrrr). My total available credit is about $4700, so my utilization is about 200%. Is that right?
Message 4 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Laurenlou wrote:
That makes sense... Just to clarify, my three baddies that are still reporting all have balances. Those balances equal about $8k (stupid cap1 had an initial balance of $2k, but that has grown to $6500 in the last 6 years! Grrrrr). My total available credit is about $4700, so my utilization is about 200%. Is that right?

AFAIK yes. Do you plan on paying these COs off anytime soon?? The fact that they are present on your reports will define affect your future approval chances. Id consider PFD letters if your willing to pay.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 11
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

No because they are all past SOL and will reach 7 years since DOFA this November.

Also, just remembered that 2 are credit card charge offs that are being reported as such. 1 is a cc charge off that is being reported as a collection. They all have the same DOFD of October 2006.

Not sure if the one that is reporting as a collection counts towards my UTL. The balance on that one is smaller- only $1100.
Message 6 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Laurenlou wrote:
No because they are all past SOL and will reach 7 years since DOFA this November.

Also, just remembered that 2 are credit card charge offs that are being reported as such. 1 is a cc charge off that is being reported as a collection. They all have the same DOFD of October 2006.

Not sure if the one that is reporting as a collection counts towards my UTL. The balance on that one is smaller- only $1100.

Your correct with them being that old id just hang out In the garden unril they fall off. Not sure about the last one affecting util.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 11
Laurenlou
Regular Contributor

Sounds good- thank you!!
Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Laurenlou wrote:

IMO I would garden until your baddies come off. New available credit isnt going to boost your score because you have no balances.

+1 

and most likely if approved you would see toy limits, Garden for awhile and increase your chances of approval with higher limits while your scores are climbing with time

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Just let them fall off before doing anything.  If your feeling frisky dispute them as they are not reporting correctly and you should be able to get them deleted. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.