cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this be the ultimate cash back setup?

tag
Kendro
Contributor

Would this be the ultimate cash back setup?

I don't travel and want to keep a diversified portfolio of cash back credit cards (in case one bank decides to lower limits or close a card).

The AMEX BCE would be the everyday workhorse (3% groceries and 2% on gas) while the Freedom, Dividend, and Discover cards each have 5% revoloving categories that shouldn't overlap too much letting you get 5% for almost a straight year.  I thought about maybe adding a BankAmericard Cash Rewards which is kind of like the AMEX BCE but in reverse (2% groceries and 3% gas) but it seems a little too much.  Am I missing any other premium cash back cards?

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday

Chase Freedom

Citi Dividend Platinum Select

Discover More

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

Re: Would this be the ultimate cash back setup?

BCP is 6% on groceries, 3% gas and Department stores, 1% everything else.  If you have the grocery spending to offset the AF, it is the better rewards card.

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 2 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Do you have the Freedom/Checking combo?

EDIT:

I ask because it's changed my rotation. I have similar cards to yours.

I use the Freedom as my workhorse.

Freedom gets priority over Discover for 5% quarters. (Both have groceries in May, but the Freedom/Checking combo gives me extra points)

I use BCE for groceries when those are off-quarter from Chase/Discover.

I use the Bank of Americard for gas on off-quarters.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 3 of 15
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Pretty much my set-up:  BCP, Freedom, and Discover More.  It pretty much covers all the bases. 

Message 4 of 15
ajh5408
Contributor

If you have the score, PenFed Platinum Rewards will net you 5% gas and 3% grocery, which effectively replaces BCE for everything other than department stores. Freedom + checking would be preferable for small, general purchases due to the extra 10 pts/transaction. Discover More is decent for cashback categories that Freedom misses, as well as the Cash Over feature, but I don't use mine for large purchases due to the lack of many protections afforded by AMEX and other Visa/MC cards. The Citi Dividend... Well, mine spends most of its time in the drawer except when they run 5% on utilities, since I absolutely detest the cashback program attached to it.

You could consider something like the Fidelity AMEX (2% on everything) for general purchases as well...

Message 5 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Oh yeah, last post just reminded me I use the Discover More for 2% cashback on utilities. Smiley Happy

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 6 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

*COUGH* JCB Marukai Premium Card with unlimited 3% cash back after first 3k spend with small AF.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Crashem wrote:

*COUGH* JCB Marukai Premium Card with unlimited 3% cash back after first 3k spend with small AF.

and it is the ugliest card EVER!

Message 8 of 15
bribro
Valued Contributor

Chase Freedom+CSP+Checking, AmEx BCE/BCP, Discover More, and Citi Dividend is the ideal setup in my mind. It's a little cumbersome when it comes to payment/management, but it's nice to have one from each of the "majors."

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 9 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

and it is the ugliest card EVER!

True unless you like flowers and/or 3%
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.