Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this upset AmEx?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would this upset AmEx?

Since AmEx sometimes backdates cards, I am considering applying for an AmEx Green in January, putting ~$100 through it a month, and then canceling it after about 6months.  That way, when I leave school, I might be able to get an AmEx backdated that is backdated to 2010.  Smiley Happy  I am concerned, though, that canceling a charge card after 6months might upset AmEx and cause problems for me when I apply in the future.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would this upset AmEx?

What if they stop back dating accounts? Why can't just open the account and use it like u said and PIF? You will have the history and built a relationship with them at the same time.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Because right now, the annual fee isn't worth it to me.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got Amex Blue with no AF.
Message 4 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you could get the new zync charge card, it's only $25 annual fee and free first year if you don't had the bonus reward groups. that way you wouldn't have to cancel
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been considering the zync card, but don't think I'll go with it.  Even with AmEx calming down a bit from last year, I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig while they try to reinvent the charge card.

I don't want to get an amex credit card.  If they do stop backdating (which I think is unlikely), having the credit card still wouldn't do me any good because you can't product change from a credit card to a charge card.

Message 6 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

and no it won't upset them, actually if you cancel on good terms, they will send you offer after offer to try to get you back. and the charge cards are free for first year, so you my as well keep it that long
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been considering the zync card, but don't think I'll go with it.  Even with AmEx calming down a bit from last year, I'm not sure I want to be a guinea pig while they try to reinvent the charge card.

I don't want to get an amex credit card.  If they do stop backdating (which I think is unlikely), having the credit card still wouldn't do me any good because you can't product change from a credit card to a charge card.

AMEX charge card has been business as usual.  After the collapse of housing and the dramatic increase in unemployment, AMEX took precautions to ensure that cardholders continued to meet credit standards, and took measures to ensure that there wasn't an abuse of charge priviledges associated with financial circumstances.

While there are those who faced Financial Reviews, as long as those reviews checked out and spending habits remained within a range of normal habits, I don't think the Charge Cards really saw much change in how they operated.

However, they did increase the approval and credit standards because many people who were closer to the threshhold were more likely to default.

AMEX has balancing act they have to attempt to pull off:  balancing risk exposure with cardholder expansion profits.

AMEX charge is basically a deferred, end of month debit card.  What you spend is what you pay.  Thus they want to make sure you are making charges within a reasonable ability to pay based upon verifiable income.

Message Edited by txjohn on 12-26-2009 12:41 PM
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.