Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you ask for an Amex CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you ask for an Amex CLI?

I have Delta with a $2000 CL.  I wanted to ask for an increase.  Technically I don't need one, but I wanted to cover the "loss" of a CLI from two cards I may close (closing because of AFs).

I've had the card 6 months and I PIF every month.

ALSO, If I decide to carry a balance for a month or two is it too early for that?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

Re: Would you ask for an Amex CLI?

They might cld you! Be very careful, you're treading on water with amex!
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is absolutely no way in the world I would consider asking AmEx for a CLI right now. I even wish I hadn't asked for the only CLI I've ever had (or indeed asked for) from them, which was back in May - I know I'd feel much safer (even though I know that still wouldn't make me immune from AmEx AA) if I still had the CL they'd initially approved me for, and not a penny more, on both cards. 

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. By all means go ahead if you're just as happy to have that $2000 limit reduced to $500, though.  

Message 3 of 25
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I think a root canal might be preferable to asking Amex for a CLI right now
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much of a hit will I get if I close the two cards?  One has a $500 CL and the other has a $400 CL.
Message 5 of 25
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

lawskool09 wrote:
How much of a hit will I get if I close the two cards?  One has a $500 CL and the other has a $400 CL.

Depends on whether or not these cards are helping your utilization and would also depend if these are helping your mix of credit. For util, if you are at $0 now, then don't expect any problems. And if you'd have at least 2 revolving and one store charge card after these closures, then you'll be OK in the short term.. In the long term, these 2 accts would  drop off your CR and the loss in hisotry could negatively impact your AAoA and thus your scores.
Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I guess I should take the hit to my scores rather than asking for a CLI....Smiley Indifferent
Message 7 of 25
sl
Established Contributor

After my conversation with AMEX yesterday which I posted on a different post, there is NO way I would ask AMEX for a CLI.  They are playing "Big Brother" now monitoring every cardholder.  I would PIF or pay down to about 10% util. and leave it alone.

What I find very strange is I have good FICO scores, however I utilize my cards and yesterday when I got zapped by AMEX, Discover gave me a CLI of $3500K.  

I watch Suze Orman a lot and she has been talking about this on her show for the last several weeks and also predicts this will get worse before it gets better.  I myself know I need to pay more attention to my credit cards and usage so I took all credit cards out of my wallet and put them in my sock drawer and now going cash basis.  I have not been shopping in over a month and that is a record for me.

I am also watching what is going to happen to the auto industry and taking clues from that as well.  I have come a long way with my credit.  When I started here back in 2006 my FICO's were in the low 600's and now they are in the mid-700's and I don't want to slip. 

Message Edited by sl on 11-18-2008 03:10 AM
Message 8 of 25
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have Delta with a $2000 CL.  I wanted to ask for an increase.  Technically I don't need one, but I wanted to cover the "loss" of a CLI from two cards I may close (closing because of AFs).

I've had the card 6 months and I PIF every month.

ALSO, If I decide to carry a balance for a month or two is it too early for that?

I wouldn't and I wouldn't close the other acounts if that leaves you with the amex as your only card. Amex would be the last card I would ask for a cli right now.Smiley Surprised
Message 9 of 25
shyboy
Frequent Contributor

i wouldn't do that. They just closed my account not for asking for a CLI but for my student loan.

With AMEX, you are playing with fire 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Getting back in the credit game after major setbacks
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.