Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you do it?

tag
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you do it?

I pay rent every month on CC, I pay a smaller fee than the 1% I get back so there's absolutely no reason not to.

Message 11 of 20
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I would alternate between the Barclay and Discover that way you are boosting both of the internal scores with them and that will eventually lead to better CLIs for you! Smiley Wink

I think it's a fantastic idea and I'd do it at the drop of a dime if the fee is only 2 dollars or less than any cashback I would get each month from it.
Message 12 of 20
whydoineedaname
Regular Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:
I would alternate between the Barclay and Discover that way you are boosting both of the internal scores with them and that will eventually lead to better CLIs for you! Smiley Wink

I think it's a fantastic idea and I'd do it at the drop of a dime if the fee is only 2 dollars or less than any cashback I would get each month from it.

Ah theres the rub...   This is my last month with this company.  I am moving to a new place soon...

Equifax 3/29/2013 - 649, 4/1/2014 - 651, 4/14/2014 - 662, 4/16/2014 - 655
Transunion 3/29/2014 - 648, 4/29/2014 - 650, 5/1/2014 - 653, 6/10/2014 - 662 (barclay/discover), (4/16/2014 - 658 - lender pull)
Experian 4/1/2014 - 653, 4/14/2014 - 669
What in my wallet? Secured Card $550, Barclaycard Reward $3100, Discover IT $1300, Kohl's $400, Navy Federal cashReward $2500, Navy Federal $17800 for a car 2.79% for 72 months.
Message 13 of 20
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@whydoineedaname wrote:

Would you do it?

@whydoineedaname wrote:

I checked into it and the fee is smaller than the cashback.

For no fee, yes. With a fee, no.

Message 14 of 20
gh17
Frequent Contributor

Personally, I would definitely do it.  I much prefer to pay everything via card.  Checks are annoying.  I also have a habit of keeping a low balance in my checking and high balance in my savings, and I always have to be really careful not to overdraft if I pay rent a day early or something.  Plus might as well get rewards points.

Of course, pay it off immediately so it doesn't screw up your utilization.  My credit limits are such that I'd still be at a low utilization percentage if my rent payment showed up on my statement.

If you are at all the sort of person who doesn't always pay in full, don't even consider this.  Obviously you don't want to pay interest on that.

BofA Cash Rewards 25,000 (2009) | Citi Double Cash 25,000 (2011) | Cap1 Quicksilver 10,000 (2013) | Discover It 31,000 (2014) | Chase Freedom 9000 (2014) | Barclaycard Rewards 25,000 (2014)

FICO: 840 Discover/Barclays/BofA TU, 869 Citi Equifax
Message 15 of 20
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I think I would do it, especially if there is a sign up bonus spend amount you must meet.  I would even let it post to at least one statement, then simply pay it off.  The only time the util should really matter is when you are in need of a new card or loan.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 16 of 20
Bluegoldkeys
Valued Member

Do it! I got my sons daycare to start accepting CCs. I wrote all the info and just handed it to them. Now if only my landlord would follow suit. These are the only two bills I pull money out for. Paying with a CC would do wonder for rewards. Just make sure u PIF!!! That's the key

Amex EX FICO: 744 GE TU FICO: 716 Gardening:
Amex Everyday 5.5k | Amex BCE 2k | Citi DP 6k | Amazon Rewards 2.5k | Walmart DC 1.2k | Best Buy Rewards 4k | Cap1 QSone 1k | NYMCU .5k
Message 17 of 20
nj23
Regular Contributor

I have a private landlord, and I am wondering if I could pay my rent in this way, but via PayPal.  I could see if she will accept payment via PayPal, and then charge the rent to my credit card in PayPal, and then of course PIF. 

FICO TU: 768 (Post-Spree 7/14 Discover FICO) FICO EX: 734 (post-spree 7/6) FICO EQ: 730 (7/15 Lender pull after INQs)
6% utility July 29th. Back into the Garden after a successful spree...for real this time Smiley Very Happy
Message 18 of 20
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

I wish I could pay rent via my Credit Cards to show more use for higher limits!!! 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 19 of 20
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nj23 wrote:

I have a private landlord, and I am wondering if I could pay my rent in this way, but via PayPal.  I could see if she will accept payment via PayPal, and then charge the rent to my credit card in PayPal, and then of course PIF. 

Maybe, you'd have to cut the deal as if you're paying for goods it's a 4% fee which they're not going to like last time I checked; if you code it as individual, it's full monty... it's worth asking about at least but you have little legal recourse as I understand it if push comes to shove.  When I was buying random items off a men's clothing forum when rebuilding my wardrobe, ran into this, though never had an issue with not getting the items but it was worth noting the risks.

Anyway, I'd absolutely pay my rent with my credit card if the fees were less or equal to what I'd get back in the transaction: might even sort of look for that whenever I get around to moving in another month or two.  For $2 / month I'd pay it via credit card even if I didn't have rewards available: this isn't manufactured spend or similar quasi-shennanigans, this is legit spend boosting... but if you have an arbitrage play, take the money and run.  I won't ever pay my taxes any other way than a credit card now that I can break even or better on the transaction as an example.

        
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.