cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you get a new credit card for $3 more a month?

tag
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Would you get a new credit card for $3 more a month?

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been "in the garden" for a year now and have been keeping detailed track of my finances during that time. Based on my current spending, I can get an average of slightly over $3 more in cashback each month (not counting signup bonus) if I get an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card for my groceries & gas purchases instead of using my Capital One Quicksilver for those.

On the face of it, $3 a month doesn't seem like much. But on the other hand, it is essentially free money. What would you do?

I'm just laughing at your question. Good luck! Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't spend more than $25 a week on groceries and gas? How do you like so cheap?
Message 12 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

**live**.

I Kant tipe sorrie
Message 13 of 44
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been "in the garden" for a year now and have been keeping detailed track of my finances during that time. Based on my current spending, I can get an average of slightly over $3 more in cashback each month (not counting signup bonus) if I get an American Express Blue Cash Everyday card for my groceries & gas purchases instead of using my Capital One Quicksilver for those.

On the face of it, $3 a month doesn't seem like much. But on the other hand, it is essentially free money. What would you do?

Since you apparently do not already have an American Express credit card, and since I pretty much hate Capital One, I would get the American Express Blue Cash Everyday credit card.  Actually, I did that approx. one year ago.  Three bucks per month is 75 cents per week, so the benefit is not monetary.  It may be beneficial to your psychological well-being, though, to have an alternative to Capital One.  Smiley Happy

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 14 of 44
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that Amex requires a $25 redemption minimum and then you can only redeem $25, $50, $75, etc so the $3 gain won't be actually realized for quite a long time.

To me, no, not worth it. YMMV. Cut out one coffee run a month and you've made up the 3 bucks.

Message 15 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're looking for a few bucks, get the BoA BBR. I've been considering it for the $120/yr free money.

Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say YES. For me, the AMEX offers are worth a lot, for instance in  2016 I received $225 through AMEX Offers. And much of it was for money I was going to spend anyway, like on my mobile bill, cable bill, etc.

Good luck!

Message 17 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like others, I would get the Amex BCE again, mainly for the additional benefits. If it was just the $3/month, probably not.

I use Amex offers and have saved hundreds with the complimentary shoprunner membership while ordering new struts online for a 20% discount (autozone was offering the discount only for items shipped to home, not store). I rarely need shoprunner, but it can be a very helpful option to have in your back pocket. I needed the parts within 3 days in order for the teaching auto shop to be able to fit me in for free, and I ended up replacing both front and rear struts/shocks with OEM or OEM-equivalent parts for under $300, on a job that was quoted well over $1K. Well, about an even $300 if you factor in gas and the 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies I baked for the mechanics as a way of expressing my gratitude. Smiley Wink Having shoprunner made that possible.

Note that Amex BCE is pretty picky about which grocery stores get the 2% cash back. For example Whole Foods, a health food grocery store chain, isn't counted. Read the fine print on what's included. EDIT: see post below mine. either they changed it or I was just remembering wrong, sorry.

They also offer extended warranties on certain items you purchase. I've never made use of it, but it's enough to make me consider putting something on the card even if I get higher cash back with a different card, if warranty is important to me.

Message 18 of 44
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Note that Amex BCE is pretty picky about which grocery stores get the 2% cash back. For example Whole Foods, a health food grocery store chain, isn't counted. Read the fine print on what's included.

That's interresting. AMEX says that Whole Foods counts as a supermarket.

American Express Rewards –How to Earn Rewards for Retail Purchases

Message 19 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aldi takes Amex now, and that counts for everything :0)

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.