cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you take out a loan, use care credit, or a credit card?

tag
Mshellt
New Contributor

Would you take out a loan, use care credit, or a credit card?

I am in need of 4,000.00 worth of dental work. My credit scores are in the mid to upper 700's. Frankly, I am a little confused about what the best type of loan is as far as cost effectiveness and credit-savvyness. Smiley Happy What option will be most likely to improve my credit score in the end? Should I ask my bank for a loan, apply for carecredit, or use my capital one journey Visa card (which, at the moment has a 3,000 limit on it.) 

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Would you take out a loan, use care credit, or a credit card?

I'd apply for Care Credit... tell them you need $10,000 or more and see what happens.

I applied in 2013 and said I needed $7500 and was approved for the full amount.  I've used it on small procedures and vet bills with a high balance of around $400 or so.  The high limit gives you flexibility and will help your credit utilization too.

Maxxing out your Cap Journey card will not.

If you apply aim high... because any future Care Credit CLI requests are HPs.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 on Care Credit

I had never heard about it. It was suggested when I got LASIK and I just applied for the amount of the procedure, silly me. It was almost paid off when one of my dogs got a mysterious illness. I put some of the MRI/Spinal tap on it, if only I'd known at the time to ask for a CLI. 

You could apply for a SP CLI on your Cap One first (not familiar with the card, maybe they don't do that), in case you could get more to cover more and/or at least pad things if you have to put it on there. Then apply for Care Credit. 

Message 3 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

I am in need of 4,000.00 worth of dental work. My credit scores are in the mid to upper 700's. Frankly, I am a little confused about what the best type of loan is as far as cost effectiveness and credit-savvyness. Smiley Happy What option will be most likely to improve my credit score in the end? Should I ask my bank for a loan, apply for carecredit, or use my capital one journey Visa card (which, at the moment has a 3,000 limit on it.) 

Credit care for sure, 1. you don't tie up any other credit card lines, 2. you'll have an extra tradeline reporting, 3. the extra available credit will give your score somewhat of a boost. Its a win win in my eyes. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 4 of 7
Gollum
Established Contributor

@Mshellt wrote:

Getting a loan from your bank, then paying it off on time would be the option that would improve your credit score.  Maxing out your current credit card would lower your credit score.

Care Credit is not a credit card.  It is aimed at people with no available credit.  If "credit" is "granted," it is merely an agreement among you, the service provider, and GE Money Bank for a specific loan amount to the service provider (dentist, for example) to be repaid by a certain date (the service provider decides the amount and the date) that comes with a potentially ruinous interest rate if you don't pay off the entire balance by that date.  The service provider is paid by GE Money Bank, and you owe the movey to GE Money Bank.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion March 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 5 of 7
Mshellt
New Contributor

Thank you for your wise advice! I requested 10,000.00 and was approved.

Starting Score: 630
Current Score:Equifax: 776 TransUnion: 746 Experian: 747

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent! That should help with your current need AND your credit score (perhaps not right away, but overall).

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.