Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow...Discover is very stingy

tag
IWOL
Established Contributor

Wow...Discover is very stingy

Ive had my Discover It since September of last year. I started out with a limit of $1500 and I was able to get an increase to $4k in Feb of 2014.

Since Feb they have fallen way behind in terms of CL on my other cards.  I have 6 cards now that are over 10K , 3 of those are at $15K.

I figured it was a good time now to request an increase form Discover. my TU  is at 752 and my util is 17% and Discover balance at 0.

Called to request an increase to $8k. Said they need to do a hard pull. I decided to go ahead with the hard pull and analayst came back and said "everything looks great, im gonna go ahead and approve your request for $4500". I said great and hung up. Logged in a few minutes ago and I see they gave me an increase of $500 to a total limit of $4500.

What a waist of a hard pull. I spent $16,427 on my IT card over the last 12 months, current balance is 0.

I have earned $527.65 in cash back since opening.

I wonder what it takes to get a decent increase. Maybe 6 months in the sock drawer will work better than heavy use and PIF.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wow...Discover is very stingy

From what I've seen, Discover is very stingy with limits. Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 39
Involver
Valued Contributor

Same happened to me.  Several 5 figure limits reporting and have run decent spend through the card.  Took a HP for a CLI and they gave me $500.  Never getting used again.

Message 3 of 39
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

Same here.  HP for $500.  I told them they could've just used a SP'd for that. 

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 4 of 39
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

I have zero experience on why Discover is overly TOO MUCH conservative IMHO with what seems like a lot of their CC customers. But i can share what i found so far with mine. I was approved last August from a preapproval mailer for $1400. Did the normal spend & PIF routine plus tried rolling balances a couple of times etc. In the over this first year that i've been a customer with them, their online CLI form is always been Missing In Action and remains the same today 13 months later. I've called a couple times to make a request but opted against them doing a HP until i felt more comfortable about that.

I been on the fence with whether to press ahead for a (HP) request but am rather leery of what might come of it. Like you, it would be frustrating to waste a HP only to be thrown a bone when your other cards are already meeting expectations and that HP could been better served with another lender for better results.

Just my 2 cents and sorry you had to experience that from Discover.

Message 5 of 39
PrimeRate
Frequent Contributor

888-676-3695

Request a review of the tiny CLI and make it clear that you'd like to see them be competitive with your other CC providers.

There are too many CCC's treating customers well for them to not keep up. It really doesn't hurt since you already took the HP!

☮ & ❤
Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PrimeRate wrote:

888-676-3695

Request a review of the tiny CLI and make it clear that you'd like to see them be competitive with your other CC providers.

There are too many CCC's treating customers well for them to not keep up. It really doesn't hurt since you already took the HP!

+1

Message 7 of 39
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

+2

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 8 of 39
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@IWOL wrote:

Ive had my Discover It since September of last year. I started out with a limit of $1500 and I was able to get an increase to $4k in Feb of 2014.

Since Feb they have fallen way behind in terms of CL on my other cards.  I have 6 cards now that are over 10K , 3 of those are at $15K.

I figured it was a good time now to request an increase form Discover. my TU  is at 752 and my util is 17% and Discover balance at 0.

Called to request an increase to $8k. Said they need to do a hard pull. I decided to go ahead with the hard pull and analayst came back and said "everything looks great, im gonna go ahead and approve your request for $4500". I said great and hung up. Logged in a few minutes ago and I see they gave me an increase of $500 to a total limit of $4500.

What a waist of a hard pull. I spent $16,427 on my IT card over the last 12 months, current balance is 0.

I have earned $527.65 in cash back since opening.

I wonder what it takes to get a decent increase. Maybe 6 months in the sock drawer will work better than heavy use and PIF.

I feel your pain. I've wasted 2 HPs for a measly $500 CLI each. With Discover, it takes time and usage, from what I've gathered, to get it to grow.

Message 9 of 39
Rain77
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the #.  Mine was a few months ago and I did recon, no dice. 

ETA:  I did try again for SP increase since the button is up, but said not enough time at current limit, something along those lines. 

Last HP 8/29/14

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.