Wow, I got a preapproval!!!!!!

tag
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Re: Wow, I got a preapproval!!!!!!

@JonStur wrote:

@kobe2012 wrote:

@JonStur wrote:

Now you just need credit one to complete the trifecta.....

lol....  credit one gave me my first preapproval in 6 yrs last yr before I started rebuildin..... I did apply but closed the account a few days after I got preapproved for Cap one.... lol

Ohh..didn't know that, you really are a hot commodity!!!! Lol.....

lol!!!.... yes, I am so hot I attract "them" cards! Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 11 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@newportguy wrote:

First Premier vs. the Fed: a cat-and-mouse game

Before the Credit CARD Act, First Premier’s terms were even more egregious. An unsecured Visa with a $250 credit limit included:

• • A $35 processing fee
  • • A $119 acceptance fee
  • • A $6 monthly fee ($72 a year)

That adds up to $276 in fees – more than the credit limit. The CARD Act stipulated that the first year’s fees can be, at most, 25% of the card’s credit limit, prohibiting this practice. The Visa could cost, at most, $62.50 in the first year.

Not to be deterred, First Premier issued a set of $300 credit limit cards with a $75 annual fee: identical triplets Aventium, Centennial and Classic. In addition, 1st Premier began charging $95 in processing fees, which were assessed before the card was approved and therefore technically did not count towards the first year limit.

“Nice try,” said the Fed, which clarified earlier this year that all processing fees are indeed part of first year’s costs. First Premier moved on to Plan B: the $95 processing fee took on its current incarnation, a security deposit.

What’s more, the Credit CARD Act regulates how much issuers can levy in fees for the card’s first year: 25% of the initial credit limit. After Year One, however, all bets are off. Because 1st Premier charges the maximum allowed fee upfront, the bank is barred from levying further charges the first year. However, as soon as the CARD Act’s protection expires, a number of fees and charges crop up:

• • A 3% foreign transaction and cash advance fee, which are industry standard but are notable because they only take effect the second year, after the fee cap expires
  • • A $3.95 one-time fee to access online banking, whereas most banks actually reward e-statements
  • • A $6.50 monthly fee, which doesn’t seem like much but adds up to $78 a year

Did you really type all this? That's a looong post that contains a lot of technical info. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 18
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

First Premier vs. the Fed: a cat-and-mouse game

Before the Credit CARD Act, First Premier’s terms were even more egregious. An unsecured Visa with a $250 credit limit included:

• • A $35 processing fee
  • • A $119 acceptance fee
  • • A $6 monthly fee ($72 a year)

That adds up to $276 in fees – more than the credit limit. The CARD Act stipulated that the first year’s fees can be, at most, 25% of the card’s credit limit, prohibiting this practice. The Visa could cost, at most, $62.50 in the first year.

Not to be deterred, First Premier issued a set of $300 credit limit cards with a $75 annual fee: identical triplets Aventium, Centennial and Classic. In addition, 1st Premier began charging $95 in processing fees, which were assessed before the card was approved and therefore technically did not count towards the first year limit.

“Nice try,” said the Fed, which clarified earlier this year that all processing fees are indeed part of first year’s costs. First Premier moved on to Plan B: the $95 processing fee took on its current incarnation, a security deposit.

What’s more, the Credit CARD Act regulates how much issuers can levy in fees for the card’s first year: 25% of the initial credit limit. After Year One, however, all bets are off. Because 1st Premier charges the maximum allowed fee upfront, the bank is barred from levying further charges the first year. However, as soon as the CARD Act’s protection expires, a number of fees and charges crop up:

• • A 3% foreign transaction and cash advance fee, which are industry standard but are notable because they only take effect the second year, after the fee cap expires
  • • A $3.95 one-time fee to access online banking, whereas most banks actually reward e-statements
  • • A $6.50 monthly fee, which doesn’t seem like much but adds up to $78 a year

Did you really type all this? That's a looong post that contains a lot of technical info. Smiley Happy

LOL !!!!!! Yeah my fingers are still hurting  Smiley Indifferent

Just kidding , i found it on a web site

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 13 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@newportguy wrote:

BEWARE of First Premier !!!!!!!!!!

The two credit cards come with an astronomical interest rate: 49.9% the first year, with the possibility of a minor reduction to 39.9% thereafter. For comparison, the industry average for those with poor credit is 23.95% – less than half of the Aventium/Centennial’s. First Premier is notorious for its high interest rates: previous iterations of the Aventium and Centennial came with 79.9% and 59.9% APR’s, but were yanked after public pressure.

The average APR for those with poor credit is 24%? I got really close to that on my Visa Signature card Smiley Sad

Message 14 of 18
distantarray
Established Contributor

LOL $175 annual you can get a Amex PRG for that

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 15 of 18
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

The two credit cards come with an astronomical interest rate: 49.9% the first year, with the possibility of a minor reduction to 39.9% thereafter. For comparison, the industry average for those with poor credit is 23.95% – less than half of the Aventium/Centennial’s. First Premier is notorious for its high interest rates: previous iterations of the Aventium and Centennial came with 79.9% and 59.9% APR’s, but were yanked after public pressure.

The average APR for those with poor credit is 24%? I got really close to that on my Visa Signature card Smiley Sad

Yeah i know, My  AMEX BCP is high too Smiley Sad((((  I will never carry a bal. on it either. I do see the New AMEX BCP is 12.99 %  to 21.99%  back when i got my card it was 17.99 to 22.99% !!!!  just my luck , they lower the APR after i get my card.

I do have a 9.99%  APR on  my PenFed CR card if i need to carry a bal

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 16 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

@distantarray wrote:

LOL $175 annual you can get a Amex PRG for that

Not with a 550 FICO score.

Message 17 of 18
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

all of my store cards have an apr of 23%+ i only let my best buy report since it has 0% financing and all others might report one month but get pif so no interest paid. 

my two citizens cards (right now) one has 0 for the first year not sure whats after and the second is 17.99% 

chase freedom is 0 until 11/13 and then 22

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.