Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, NFCU is generous!

tag
daveg38
Established Contributor

Re: Wow, NFCU is generous!

From my understanding, the family member in question has to have been invited to join at some point during retirement or during service duty.  Sorry, but my gramps, dad, and uncle were on the front lines and couldn't take a phone call at the time to join a CU.

Ch7 Discharge: 5/14/2016 | Target RedCard $900 | Merrick DYL $500
Message 21 of 29
TapDancer324
New Contributor

Wow! That's great! Wish I could join this CU. My ex-spouse is former Navy, but looks like I'm not eligible. Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 534 EQ FICO: 10/11
Current Score: 727 EQ FICO; 717 TU FICO (per Lending Club) As of 6/1/14; ??? EX :
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 29
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@daveg38 wrote:

From my understanding, the family member in question has to have been invited to join at some point during retirement or during service duty.  Sorry, but my gramps, dad, and uncle were on the front lines and couldn't take a phone call at the time to join a CU.

Joey was invited to join while on base at Camp Pendleton... it was part of his sign up package during orientation...  Odd

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nobody needs to be invited.  You qualify or don't, and you can sign up anytime if you qualify.

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you are correct that used to be the case in the past but not now.  You do not need to be invited you can join.  Go for it!!!

Message 25 of 29
TBOY012
Valued Member

Just called them to inquire about a membership, told the csr that my father is retired army. She asked if he retired after 20yrs, and after I answered yes she said I am eligible to apply. She did say that even though I apply (rather for checking/savings acct or cc) it doesnt mean I would be approved. Csr said After I app over the phone with her, she then forwards the info the back office where they verify. She only wanted my fathers First, Mid, Last name and nothing else.

Must have been one of the nicest ladies I ever spoke with on the phone.

Message 26 of 29
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My father was career (retired) Army and passed away in 1980. My mother gets his pension.

I called last year and asked if I would be eligible. The asked for his name (which is not particularly uncommon) and nothing else, including his SSN, which I still remember, grown-up Army brat that I am. They let me in immediately.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 27 of 29
Brusilov
Established Contributor

I was one of the lucky few that got in through another CU that NFCU absorbed (USA FED).  I probably had a score either in the high 500s or close to 600 when I applied and got my NFCU cash rewards with starting limit of $5000.  I just asked for a 10,000 limit after having it about a year now, and they countered w/ $7500.  I'm still plenty happy! Smiley Happy  Good luck finding such generosity elsewhere.

Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do in fact have the best customer service ever also in my opinion!  Super nice!!

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.