Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

I decided to check out what lame merchants they had for up to 20 percent cash back and was seriously taken aback. They have 5 and 10 percent cash back with a bunch of great companies. Best Buy, Circuit City, Dell, HP, and Barnes and Noble really stuck out.

The time is drawing nigh for me to get a new laptop, and if I get it through ShopDiscover I can really rack up some serious cash back at 5 percent with Dell and HP.

I work with some pretty intense graphical stuff in the 3D simulation world, and I always need a high end laptop. I was looking in the $2000 range, and if I use my Discover that could mean $100 in cash back instead of the normal $20 on a standard 1 percent card.

This seems to be about the biggest selling point of a Discover card now that I know this.
Here we go again...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

Pay very close attention to the graphics card then- 
Even in the higher end laptops- some still have crappy graphics cards-

All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.

Using AMEX points is cool too-
Just upgraded my video card to SLI for free though AMEX- 
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the DW a new HP laptop-

she does not do graphics work- BUT

Everyone needs a 20" screen and blu ray on a laptop right ?

Message 3 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.

I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, Smiley Happy.

Just curious, do you write software?
Here we go again...
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do alot of scripting as a Network Engineer- 

I work on Windows servers for a Fortune 500 company-  
My main responsiblities are Active directory and exchange-
About 600 Windows servers in North America between the 5 of us.

I don't write software- been working in IT for over 10 years been around computers for almost 25 years-

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's lame unless you know exactly what you are looking for- and know the part number.

@FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, Smiley Happy.

Just curious, do you write software?

Message 6 of 9
jaybird201
Established Contributor

Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?
Message 7 of 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Good question. I might have to call and ask them about it. It seems that all it is is simply clicking to those sites via ShopDiscover. I didn't see it put any special tokens in the address bar or anything.

However, I did find out there is no cap on rewards through ShopDiscover. I was afraid it would only be 5 percent up to the first $1000 a month or something.
Here we go again...
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

jaybird201 wrote:
Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?

Yes lucky some merchants don't require codes for promos  like kohl's when run $..99/item or $5 flat shipping promo I don't need code, I can get both promos
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.