Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

I decided to check out what lame merchants they had for up to 20 percent cash back and was seriously taken aback. They have 5 and 10 percent cash back with a bunch of great companies. Best Buy, Circuit City, Dell, HP, and Barnes and Noble really stuck out.

The time is drawing nigh for me to get a new laptop, and if I get it through ShopDiscover I can really rack up some serious cash back at 5 percent with Dell and HP.

I work with some pretty intense graphical stuff in the 3D simulation world, and I always need a high end laptop. I was looking in the $2000 range, and if I use my Discover that could mean $100 in cash back instead of the normal $20 on a standard 1 percent card.

This seems to be about the biggest selling point of a Discover card now that I know this.
Here we go again...
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

Pay very close attention to the graphics card then- 
Even in the higher end laptops- some still have crappy graphics cards-

All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.

Using AMEX points is cool too-
Just upgraded my video card to SLI for free though AMEX- 
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

I got the DW a new HP laptop-

she does not do graphics work- BUT

Everyone needs a 20" screen and blu ray on a laptop right ?

Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Timothy wrote:

All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.

I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, :smileyhappy:.

Just curious, do you write software?
Here we go again...
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

I do alot of scripting as a Network Engineer- 

I work on Windows servers for a Fortune 500 company-  
My main responsiblities are Active directory and exchange-
About 600 Windows servers in North America between the 5 of us.

I don't write software- been working in IT for over 10 years been around computers for almost 25 years-

Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

It's lame unless you know exactly what you are looking for- and know the part number.

FretlessMayhem wrote:

Timothy wrote:

I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, :smileyhappy:.

Just curious, do you write software?

Established Contributor
jaybird201

Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?
Senior Contributor
FretlessMayhem

Good question. I might have to call and ask them about it. It seems that all it is is simply clicking to those sites via ShopDiscover. I didn't see it put any special tokens in the address bar or anything.

However, I did find out there is no cap on rewards through ShopDiscover. I was afraid it would only be 5 percent up to the first $1000 a month or something.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor

jaybird201 wrote:
Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?

Yes lucky some merchants don't require codes for promos  like kohl's when run $..99/item or $5 flat shipping promo I don't need code, I can get both promos
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+