Reply
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

I decided to check out what lame merchants they had for up to 20 percent cash back and was seriously taken aback. They have 5 and 10 percent cash back with a bunch of great companies. Best Buy, Circuit City, Dell, HP, and Barnes and Noble really stuck out.

The time is drawing nigh for me to get a new laptop, and if I get it through ShopDiscover I can really rack up some serious cash back at 5 percent with Dell and HP.

I work with some pretty intense graphical stuff in the 3D simulation world, and I always need a high end laptop. I was looking in the $2000 range, and if I use my Discover that could mean $100 in cash back instead of the normal $20 on a standard 1 percent card.

This seems to be about the biggest selling point of a Discover card now that I know this.
Here we go again...
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

Pay very close attention to the graphics card then- 
Even in the higher end laptops- some still have crappy graphics cards-
 
All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.
 
Using AMEX points is cool too-
Just upgraded my video card to SLI for free though AMEX- 
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

I got the DW a new HP laptop-
 
she does not do graphics work- BUT
 
Everyone needs a 20" screen and blu ray on a laptop right ?
 
 
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!



Timothy wrote:
Pay very close attention to the graphics card then-

Even in the higher end laptops- some still have crappy graphics cards-


All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.


Using AMEX points is cool too-

Just upgraded my video card to SLI for free though AMEX-





I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, :smileyhappy:.

Just curious, do you write software?
Here we go again...
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

I do alot of scripting as a Network Engineer- 
 
I work on Windows servers for a Fortune 500 company-  
My main responsiblities are Active directory and exchange-
About 600 Windows servers in North America between the 5 of us.
 
I don't write software- been working in IT for over 10 years been around computers for almost 25 years-
 
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 9,252
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

It's lame unless you know exactly what you are looking for- and know the part number.

FretlessMayhem wrote:


Timothy wrote:
Pay very close attention to the graphics card then-

Even in the higher end laptops- some still have crappy graphics cards-


All the laptops out there with 4 G or more of ram have X64 - some make sure your software works on X64.


Using AMEX points is cool too-

Just upgraded my video card to SLI for free though AMEX-





I had looked on ShopAmex a couple of times before and always though it was really lame. I don't remember why, but I definitely left with that impression. And I'm an Amex guy.

I really like on the HP site that you can completely configure the computer you want part by part and it shows all the costs incurred. I always max out the processor, RAM, and video card.

I waste too much money on dumb things like going out to eat to not be able to pop the couple extra bucks for a behemoth of a laptop, :smileyhappy:.

Just curious, do you write software?


Established Contributor
Posts: 672
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?
Senior Contributor
Posts: 3,279
Registered: ‎08-03-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!

Good question. I might have to call and ask them about it. It seems that all it is is simply clicking to those sites via ShopDiscover. I didn't see it put any special tokens in the address bar or anything.

However, I did find out there is no cap on rewards through ShopDiscover. I was afraid it would only be 5 percent up to the first $1000 a month or something.
Here we go again...
Established Contributor
Posts: 739
Registered: ‎06-30-2007
0

Re: Wow. ShopDiscover.com is awesome!



jaybird201 wrote:
Does anyone know if the cash rebates are voided by using coupon codes for free shipping at 10% off, etc.?


Yes lucky some merchants don't require codes for promos  like kohl's when run $..99/item or $5 flat shipping promo I don't need code, I can get both promos
People say "Only apply for credit you NEED"

I say "apply for credit you have PRATICAL use of"

I don't have AMEX card because I don't want a card that suffers from PMS
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.