Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow just Wow.. !UPDATE!

tag
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Wow just Wow..

@ficonightmare wrote:

On hold with them now. Not waiting 30 days to find out. 

Received the following message when I applied:

Thank you for applying

Unfortunately, Capital One, N.A. is unable to approve your application at this time. You will receive a letter from Capital One, N.A. advising you of the reason(s) within 30 days. For your protection, any duplicate applications submitted will be declined by our system.

I should have checked who the bank was before app'ing. Had I known it was Capitol Crap, I wouldn't have done it. 

It used to be HSBC, and things were decent back then. Not "spectacular", but at the same time not "sub-par".

Then they sold it off to CapOne and things went downhill. Initial CLs were a lot "stingier" compared to HSBC, which is kinda stupid especially since Saks and Neiman Marcus are high-end luxury stores. I'm not trying to say everyone deserves a high CL for those cards, just in case anyone is misunderstanding.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 11 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ficonightmare wrote:

Apparently their Customer Service reps. have no info, nor do their supervisors, or the managers. 

I was told I had to wait for the letter then call back if there are any inaccuracies. 

What kind of chimp operation is Capitol One running? I mean no one at all can help?

How can everyone there be this clueless?? I need to lift my jaw off the floor. 

They are running a very profitable operation in a risky segment, so as a business they are obviously doing the right thing! 

But yes, a pain to deal with, to get anything done you need to go to through the Executive Office, and as still only a tiny portion of cardholders do, this is supportable.   Basically CSRs have almost no power, so it makes sense to enforce "wait for the letter" because anything they say may be wrong, and they cannot change anything.

So, every time you get annoyed with Capital One for their terrible cheap service, consider buying stock, COF.

Message 12 of 30
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ficonightmare wrote:

Apparently their Customer Service reps. have no info, nor do their supervisors, or the managers. 

I was told I had to wait for the letter then call back if there are any inaccuracies. 

What kind of chimp operation is Capitol One running? I mean no one at all can help?

They are running a very profitable operation in a risky segment, so as a business they are obviously doing the right thing! 

But yes, a pain to deal with, to get anything done you need to go to through the Executive Office, and as still only a tiny portion of cardholders do, this is supportable.   Basically CSRs have almost no power, so it makes sense to enforce "wait for the letter" because anything they say may be wrong, and they cannot change anything.

So, every time you get annoyed with Capital One for their terrible cheap service, consider buying stock, COF.

There's a reason why even when I was re-building my credit, I never apped with them.... 

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 30
dodfire
Valued Contributor

WOW is right...sorry to hear this!! 

*8/10/13
Message 14 of 30
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I think it's a bit ridiculous for anyone to beleive they are above a denial.Perhaps the balance(s) on the reports are too high for their liking or maybe you have too much credit available. There are many reasons you could have been decline. No one is completely denial proof, no matter how good you think your reports look.

Too much availiable credit??

I thought a declination for that reason is antiquated...

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 15 of 30
enharu
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ficonightmare wrote:

+1.

People get CapitalOne because most of the time CapitalOne just happened to be one of the few cards people could get while (re-)building credit. So it's a "you get it because you have to, not because you want to" kinda thing. And because of that I was surprised, in a bad way, that Cap1 would be taking over the Neiman Marcus and Saks card, because people who usually shop at those establishments don't usually have problems with their own finances.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 30
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@ficonightmare wrote:

I do not at all believe I'm above any denials. But it's not as if I'm apping for a Black card, it's a STORE card for heaven's sake. Not even an MC/Visa. 

edited to add: I know my reports look at the very least good, if not great. And I worked  hard to get them to this point.

So yeah, while I don't expect to get any invites to Centurian any time soon, I do believe my credit is good enough to warrant a store card from Capitol One. 

What you think and what they think are two different things. No one likes getting declined, but becoming enradged isn't going to change anything. Store cards do have criteria that need to be met, so they aren't guaranteed either. I'm just saying that if you get declined, wait for the reasons, and then see if it can be overturned.

@GaTech wrote:

Too much availiable credit??

I thought a declination for that reason is antiquated...

I've not run into it, but I bet it would come up under certain circumstances. I reckon if your income is 50,000 and you have 500,000 in available credit, you may run into a snag with getting more.

I don't see why people hate Capital One so much. They do have good cards and they do cater to people with good credit.

Message 17 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would go into the store and to customer service and ask them to call possibly... might have been better to apply in store on this one... I use to work for them back when they sold to HSBC, and we called if system didn't auto generate and Neiman Marcus will almost ALWAYS open with a $700 minimum CL if they can at all costs... I only had to tell 1 person ever they couldn't be approved and I personally new some of my applicants so I know what they will push through!

I know they have changed up a bit but something is wrong here.

Message 18 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@navigatethis12 wrote:

I don't see why people hate Capital One so much. They do have good cards and they do cater to people with good credit.

I like Capital One, with some high limit cards from a while back, and appreciated their early adoption of no FTF, and generally I have no issues.  But if you want to change something, you quickly get reminded why some people don't like them!   I asked about PCing to Quicksilver, get almost meaningless responses from the CSRs.   I know if I go to the EO it will get fixed, but it would be better if I didn't have to do that.

Not that other issuers are problem-free (I had some issues with Penfed for example and many people here don't like Citi) but with most of these, it's often that the rep made a mistake or misunderstood.  With Capital One, it's frequently that they do know exactly what you want to do, they are just not empowered to do it, and they cannot initiate an escalation to the exec office.

Message 19 of 30
red259
Super Contributor

Before more people jump on the I hate cap 1 bandwagon I think OP needs to find out what the reasons for decline are. If the CR is spotless as OP claims then it seems like a call to the EO would fix the situation.Only thing I can think of is too much available credit, but I think with a high AAoA and great payment history that is not really a viable reason (had this all been newly obtained TLs that would be a different story). I believe Neiman Marcus had an IPO filed this week and I saw some interent postings about people's Neiman Marcus cards being closed out. This may not have anything to do with C1 and everything to do with Neiman Marcus. Did you confirm if they actually did a HP?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.