cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow .. never for once have I thought CEOs read emails!

tag
ComputerWizMaster
New Contributor

Re: Wow .. never for once have I thought CEOs read emails!

@ficojoe wrote:

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

Some CEOs, just like some US Presidents, actually read the mail that comes to them and some just let their secretaries handle it. It is as varied as the individual person who has the job.

I have my doubts that any modern US President reads their own mail. The volume would prevent them from doing anything else. And even then, it may be impossible for one person. Likewise, the CEO of any large company cannot read their own email. Granted, they have personal accounts and secret business accounts that only certian people know the address to. But any email address that is published, leaked, or in standard format f.joe@mycompany or fico.joe@mycompany, or anything else you could guess ends up with some sort of team whose job it is to read the CEOs email.

Like I said, the larger the organization the less likely it is that the CEO reads every single email that comes into his account, but that doesn't prelude them from taking an hour a day or so to read it and many do.

Most companies use Exchange server for their email and it is setup perfectly for this. It allows the CEO's secretaries to have access to the CEO email as if it were their own while also allowing access by the CEO directly. They could both interact with the account without is distinguishing the two to the outside world.

Again, yes it would be too much volume for the CEO of Amex or the current US President to personally respond to every single email sent to them, but that doesn't prevent them from looking in on their own from time to time and I'm sure many do. As for most of them it is the only gauge they get of how their customers feel about their initiatives directly.

Remember, Steve Jobs was notorious for his snarly replies to emails sent from Apple customers directly to him...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/technology/25apple.html?_r=1

Feb. 2012: TU: 677 EQ: 647 EX: 666
Aug. 2013: TU: 729 EQ: 726 EX: 697
Goal 2013+: 720+ All Three
Message 21 of 33
ATLButtrFly

altayar- I work for BOA and there is a team that works for the CEO that had to report back the outcome of each complaint or concern!! So they are fully aware. I work for the mortgage division and we get emails from people all the time about their mortgages and we have to break the file down from origination up until the point people have problems and report back everything!
Message 22 of 33
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

+ 1,000 lmao!
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 23 of 33
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@ficojoe wrote:

@ComputerWizMaster wrote:

Some CEOs, just like some US Presidents, actually read the mail that comes to them and some just let their secretaries handle it. It is as varied as the individual person who has the job.

I have my doubts that any modern US President reads their own mail. The volume would prevent them from doing anything else. And even then, it may be impossible for one person. Likewise, the CEO of any large company cannot read their own email. Granted, they have personal accounts and secret business accounts that only certian people know the address to. But any email address that is published, leaked, or in standard format f.joe@mycompany or fico.joe@mycompany, or anything else you could guess ends up with some sort of team whose job it is to read the CEOs email.

You never know. Obama did an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on reddit the other day. 

Message 24 of 33
bribro
Valued Contributor

This thread is hilarous. Yes, some CEOs (like the late Steve Jobs) occasionally read and responded to emails sent to their public email accounts, but it is exceedingly rare. I highly doubt that Jamie Dimon, CEO of the largest U.S. bank with some $2,000,000,000,000+ in assets and 250,000+ employees under him, personally responded to a credit limit increase request from some random person. I remember when I had to deal with  back when he was CEO of Google - he had 3 employees dedicated to sorting through his email. Not even responding, just sorting and delegating.

That being said, if emailing the CEO gets you what you want, more power to you.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you please send me the email contact?
Message 26 of 33
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Just 2 cents from me - I can actually assure you, that CEOs of large companies really DO read emails and have access to all that they get there. 

I personally had a situation when I was a part of the small team giving presentation to a CEO of our client - a very large financial institution in Europe probably with millions of customers across 2 countries. This was a very small meeting in his office at the top floor of their HQ building, and as long as it was really ad hoc, nobody ensured that we d enough printouts, so we needed to output it on the large screen in his office. No problem - he said, - just send it to my email and I'll beam it from my computer. I sent an email from my Blackberry and seconds later it actually appeared in his Outlook, so there was no pre-filtering of emails coming from external (non-corporate) addresses or something like this there.

Of course it's a different question what he would've done with an email from one of the retail customers of his company even if he actually gets it.... 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 27 of 33
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Most CEO's of larger corporations will have separate e-mail handles that deviate from the normal company standard that will allow them to separate company e-mails that are actually important for them to do their every day work.  The e-mails from the outside will be sorted through by an executive assistant or ten and a very select few will ever reach the CEO.  

If you push the envelope too much with this option, trust me, it's noted in your account.   

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 28 of 33
Unique620
Frequent Contributor

congrats on your increase Smiley Happy

Mcu_platinum_cardDiscoverQuicksilverAmazonFreedomSapphirePenFed_Credit_Union_Power_Cash_CardAMEX_BCPDeltaHhiltonAmex_platinumAppleNavy PlatinumCash rewardsNavy Platinum

Message 29 of 33
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

It's hilarious how people think CEO's are these mythical creatures that are immune to our everyday trials & tribulations. PEOPLE stop watching so much TV. They are humans just like me & you - they tie their shoes the same way we do.

Well put.

I work in entertainment and spend a portion of my year doing annual meeting for some pretty big clients - some financial, some computer, some auto, some pharmaceutical. The CEO/CFO/COO's that I deal with are real people, they do give a sh&% and many want to be in touch with the end user/customer. I would not be surprised if they actually do set aside a few minutes a day reading the designated ones out of culled emails. You know - keeping it real. 

I also know they drink Irish Car Bombs... and have a great sense of humor. But that's another story. 

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.