Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Card Choice?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wrong Card Choice?!

Yes, the inquiry will post when it happens. I don't think applying is bad judgement. If you get approved, you get a FANTASTIC promo as a benefit. If not, you've got one HP and no trade lines out of it. If you're gardening for 6-12 months anyways, you may as well take the HP. Your inquiry will stop hurting your score after 12 months, and it doesn't sound like you have many pulls on your account at the moment.
Message 21 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't edit from mobile, I meant to type," yes the inquiry will report immediately, but the new account won't show for 2-3 months."
Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the facts: 

8 HPs on TU report

4 HPs on Equifax report 

NO collections

High Credit Utlization (80%)

Student Loans deferred 

Good Payment History for the most part - only 2 past due payments.

CU is going to drop by like 20% though after CapOne card and a CLI i got and some payments I'm making ASAP

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the facts: 

8 HPs on TU report

4 HPs on Equifax report 

NO collections

Student Loans deferred 

CU is going to drop by like 20% though after CapOne card and a CLI i got and some payments I'm making ASAP

Eww, that 80% CU might be an issue or you'll get a very low CL.  IMO, makes sense to just wait 'til the Cap1 reports so your CU is at 20% like you say. Also, try to pay down balances as much as you can.  Like i said, more promos will come out, maybe even better ones.

Message 24 of 31
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the facts: 

8 HPs on TU report

4 HPs on Equifax report 

NO collections

Student Loans deferred 

Discover may not like the high UTIL, but they don't seem as sensitive to it as AMEX.   Discover could pull either EQ or TU.   If you don't mind using the HP to satisfy your curiosity, you could go for it.     I think you'd likely be approved, but with less-than-ideal terms (high APR, low CL, etc).  

IMHO, I'd recommend letting the HPs age and getting your UTIL down if you want good terms.  If you just have to have the card now, beware of what you might end up with.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the facts: 

8 HPs on TU report

4 HPs on Equifax report 

NO collections

Student Loans deferred 

Discover may not like the high UTIL, but they don't seem as sensitive to it as AMEX.   Discover could pull either EQ or TU.   If you don't mind using the HP to satisfy your curiosity, you could go for it.     I think you'd likely be approved, but with less-than-ideal terms (high APR, low CL, etc).  

IMHO, I'd recommend letting the HPs age and getting your UTIL down if you want good terms.  If you just have to have the card now, beware of what you might end up with.   

You might have an experience like mine if you apply:

I was denied but immediately a pop up came up letting me know i could accept other terms (which i did) with higher APR, low CL...i always PIF  so didnt care there but only got $800 CL.

Message 26 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I'm going to wait at least three months...I'm working on getting CU down unfortunately the AU card has a high CU but the age of it is helping me.

I don't want to get rid of it because it's age but at the same time it's making my usage high. Hmm I'll ask about that under another cover
Message 27 of 31
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I think your decision to wait is a good one. Promos come and go. Not the end of the world if you miss one.
Message 28 of 31
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I think I'm going to wait at least three months...I'm working on getting CU down unfortunately the AU card has a high CU but the age of it is helping me.

I don't want to get rid of it because it's age but at the same time it's making my usage high. Hmm I'll ask about that under another cover

It's worth noting that AAoA is 10% of your FICO score...UTIL is 30%.   If the AU card has high UTIL, you might benefit by not having it on your CRs.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 29 of 31
delaney1
Established Contributor

My cap one account that was opened in June showed on my reports after the first statement cut.

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.