Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong High Balance reported by Bank of America

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong High Balance reported by Bank of America

I read in a few threads people talking about finding every little wrong detail in the Credit File and reporting it.

I found that Bank of America reported a high balance of $17K on a card with $500 limit, doesn't seem right, but how can this help me?

What I was trying to remove is a 30 late in Feb 2014 and 3 30 lates at the end of 2009.

This appears on all 3 CRA, here is from Transunton on this account:

High Balance: High balance of $17,045 from 10/2012 to 03/2015 Credit Limit: Credit limit of $500 from 10/2012 to 03/2015

Can asking them to fix this help me? harm me? if they do fix - won't they just fix that little detail that probably has no influence on the score? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Wrong High Balance reported by Bank of America

@Anonymous wrote:

I read in a few threads people talking about finding every little wrong detail in the Credit File and reporting it.

I found that Bank of America reported a high balance of $17K on a card with $500 limit, doesn't seem right, but how can this help me?

What I was trying to remove is a 30 late in Feb 2014 and 3 30 lates at the end of 2009.

This appears on all 3 CRA, here is from Transunton on this account:

High Balance: High balance of $17,045 from 10/2012 to 03/2015 Credit Limit: Credit limit of $500 from 10/2012 to 03/2015

Can asking them to fix this help me? harm me? if they do fix - won't they just fix that little detail that probably has no influence on the score? 

OK....so what is the TRUE high balance for that time period from your data or recollection?

Seems like a phone call would be appropriate, if you have no documentation that would support that erroneous high balance, OR if you have documentation that would support a lesser high balance. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Makes no sense to me, how can I get to a balance like this when three is a $500 limit, I have the balances reported to the CRAs for that period and they are all under $500.
Message 3 of 4
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Makes no sense to me, how can I get to a balance like this when three is a $500 limit, I have the balances reported to the CRAs for that period and they are all under $500.

Based on the information you're providing,  a phone call to Bank of America would certainly be appropriate.  Seems like that's the first step in getting this resolved.

Do you have documentation that, during this time period, your balance was never in excess of $500?   

ETA: Ordinarily, it would be very hard to end up with charges that substantially over your limit without causing someone at BofA to take notice.  I would think that all sorts of bells and whistles would go off at the Mother Ship if a card had such activity on it, given the rather low limit.  Hence, the recommendation to make a phone call to them.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.