Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X3 CLI American expressed denied me for this

tag
falzool
Valued Member

X3 CLI American expressed denied me for this

In the denial letter they said I wasn't paying the balance enough every month so they denied my request for CLI.
Anyone know what I need to pay every month?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jbsea
Established Contributor

Re: X3 CLI American expressed denied me for this

With Amex even with my credit cards I pay in full all the time.  I'm just extra careful with them.  But many on here do it differently and have no problems.  

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jbsea wrote:

With Amex even with my credit cards I pay in full all the time.  I'm just extra careful with them.  But many on here do it differently and have no problems.  

+1

I'm far more comfortable carrying a balance with other lenders but not Amex.

Message 3 of 8
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I 'second' what's been said so far about carrying a balance on Amex... many folks do so with no problems, but others have problems such as this. 

As for myself, I simply use my Amex cards for the rewards and PIF each month.  Even when offered a 0% promo (such as when I opened my BCP) I've never taken advantage of it. 

I admit this isn't for everybody, but it works for me.  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
DoroLucky
Valued Contributor

I've PIF and carried a balance with Amex and gotten 3X CLI when carrying a balance. I do pay way more than the minimum. I pay like $200, $300 $500, or more at the time. Which I think is why I've never run into problems getting a CLI from them. My last CLI, I had a huge balance and was surprised the CLI was granted. Honestly, I'm STILL carrying that balance which will be paid off in a month when my 0% promo ends. However before I needed to carry one, I always used and paid in full. I used the card heavily within that first 6 months and also paid heavily. YMMV!

@OP you need to start paying wayyyyy more than the minimum...the amount you've been paying back isn't enough for your usage. That's what the letter is suggesting.

TCL= $172,800
6-7-16: EQ 683 EX 713 TU 715
10-12-16 EQ 685 EX 706 TU 702 12-19-16 EQ 683 EX 704 TU 701 and CHILLING ON ICE...BRRRRR!
In the garden as of 6-7-16, I've been really really BADDDDD Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Maybe one day if i ever get an Amex again i can have this problem but in my honest opinion if a card is s revolver you shouldnt be penalized for carry a balance.. im still learning so i know pif is recommened for many reasons and benefits but im also learning if you gotta carry balance make a supreme effort to at least pay double your minimum so it helps with the interest.. if the card is like the green where you pay what you spend then cool . I will take what i learn here about everyones different experiences with Amex and apply it to mine when i get that Amex back Smiley Happy. Hopefully one day youll get your 3x cl OP best of luck!!
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nobody is being punished for carrying a bal your just not getting the full benefit of good credit management. It just Amex's way of reducing risk. If your charging more than you can pay it becomes very risky for a lender to give more of their money to spend. From their perspective they stand to lose more if things go south.
Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Carrying a balance is probably not so bad, but it may be more important to pay a decent amount towards the payments. If it looks like you are unable to handle the debt in a quick enough period of time, it may signal the lender that you are spending beyond your means.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.