cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellin going to have us yelling or screaming? Come June.

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Yellin going to have us yelling or screaming? Come June.

@Anonymous wrote:
Not buying it.

I could say the word "Obama" and it is suddenly political post? Cmon. Lets be reasonable here and keep it FSR. Smiley Wink

this sounds a little political Nixon...I think we should keep to topic (hehehehe)   Smiley Wink

Message 21 of 59
ScarletFever
Frequent Contributor

@yfan wrote:
First of all, the entire Federal Reserve board votes on this, not just one person. Second, this is not the forum to sneak in a little politics with an otherwise legitimate question. Third, if you are planning to have your cards paid off, you have nothing to worry about. Fourth, credit card companies cannot increase interest on existing debt no matter what, so unless you're planning on borrowing and carrying balances after the possible rate hike, I don't see the problem.

My, how people are over-sensitive to charges of politicization. It's a legitimate question, and thought of it myself. Potential rate hikes by Yellen & Co. will complicate recent economic reports that  have downgraded their outlook for growth for 2015. Growth is adjusted down to 1.6 percent, a paltry growth number. Combined with a muddled, at best, economic picture-lower unemployment and cheap oil and a strong dollar, but slow wage growth, record jobseekers not counted, sluggish housing, slow retail sales and manufacturing, etc- it's not rocket science to understand these economic factors combined with a rate hike will dramatically change the economy and make creditors change their lending strategy, impacting all cardholder agreements whether they carry a balance or not.  That being said, as cardholders, your card issuer can only raise your rate on future purchases,unless your account is seriously delinquent. Plus, fixed-rate cards are set at the number spelled out in the agreement. However, the cc issuer can change the agreement in 15 days. The timing of changes and any decisions by card issuers can change any term of the cc agreement, including the interest rate, within the 15 day window, though.

.Citi FICO-836 Barclays TU FICO; 827. Discover Fic0-826; CK:EQ-821; TU-819; CS-819; Total credit-$165,500: NASA-29,700; AMEX BCP-17,000; AMEX EDP-20,000; CSP-14,400; Barclay Ring-10,000; Discover It-9,000; U.S.Bank Sig Visa13,000; United TeleTech Federal Credit Union-$9000; Citi Double Cash-9900; Citi TYP-7,700; Discover Cashback Bonus-7,200;Chase Freedom-6,500; AMEX HHilton Honors-5000; Barclay NFL Extra Points-$5000. Utility always 1-2%
Message 22 of 59
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

We don't talk politics on the boards because it is one of the things that is explicitly forbidden.  Not a grey area.  With that being said, this is an informative thread, let's keep it on track.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 23 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

We don't talk politics on the boards because it is one of the things that is explicitly forbidden.  Not a grey area.  With that being said, this is an informative thread, let's keep it on track.

What constitutes actual political talk though. That in itself has it's own subset of 50 shades......of grey.

The mere mention of a name? I think not. Meet shade number one. Smiley Tongue

In any case, While I saw this coming sometime over the next couple of years, I didn't see it coming THIS year. Which is why I feel a personal need to get some APR's lowered as much as possible.

Message 24 of 59
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

What constitutes actual political talk though. That in itself has it's own subset of 50 shades......of grey.

In any case, While I saw this coming sometime over the next couple of years, I didn't see it coming THIS year. Which is why I feel a personal need to get some APR's lowered as much as possible.

Nope.. No shades.  Black and white.  So Sayeth the hammer!  Smiley Wink

July 2013 score:

Message 25 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

MC? Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 59
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

MC? Smiley Happy

Really,,, trying to be all Internet bad on you and you've got me laughing......  Just play Nice buddy.

July 2013 score:

Message 27 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

When interest rates do rise, I think there will be more promo rate balance transfers and the reduction or outright elimination of generous sign-up bonuses.  

Message 28 of 59
yfan
Valued Contributor

@ScarletFever wrote:

My, how people are over-sensitive to charges of politicization. It's a legitimate question, and thought of it myself. Potential rate hikes by Yellen & Co. will complicate recent economic reports that  have downgraded their outlook for growth for 2015. Growth is adjusted down to 1.6 percent, a paltry growth number. Combined with a muddled, at best, economic picture-lower unemployment and cheap oil and a strong dollar, but slow wage growth, record jobseekers not counted, sluggish housing, slow retail sales and manufacturing, etc- it's not rocket science to understand these economic factors combined with a rate hike will dramatically change the economy and make creditors change their lending strategy, impacting all cardholder agreements whether they carry a balance or not.

Off topic. While as someone professionally trained in economics I would be happy to discuss why essentially all of your assertions are bunk, this is not the forum to do so. This isn't an ecnomics policy forum, and this thread - by OP's own admission - is not about economic policy. It's about how a possible Fed rate hike can impact credit card interest, and a modertator has indicated that we should steer clear of Chairman Yellen's (or anyone else's) politics here. A broader discussion of economic policy will inevitably invoke politics and political passions.

But if I'm wrong and a moderator here wants to give the green light to disucss economic policy, I can talk all about the economic benefits of a slightly higher Fed rate at this economic climate.

Message 29 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@ScarletFever wrote:

My, how people are over-sensitive to charges of politicization. It's a legitimate question, and thought of it myself. Potential rate hikes by Yellen & Co. will complicate recent economic reports that  have downgraded their outlook for growth for 2015. Growth is adjusted down to 1.6 percent, a paltry growth number. Combined with a muddled, at best, economic picture-lower unemployment and cheap oil and a strong dollar, but slow wage growth, record jobseekers not counted, sluggish housing, slow retail sales and manufacturing, etc- it's not rocket science to understand these economic factors combined with a rate hike will dramatically change the economy and make creditors change their lending strategy, impacting all cardholder agreements whether they carry a balance or not.

Off topic. While as someone professionally trained in economics I would be happy to discuss why essentially all of your assertions are bunk, this is not the forum to do so. This isn't an ecnomics policy forum, and this thread - by OP's own admission - is not about economic policy. It's about how a possible Fed rate hike can impact credit card interest, and a modertator has indicated that we should steer clear of Chairman Yellen's (or anyone else's) politics here. A broader discussion of economic policy will inevitably invoke politics and political passions.

But if I'm wrong and a moderator here wants to give the green light to disucss economic policy, I can talk all about the economic benefits of a slightly higher Fed rate at this economic climate.

Besides stock prices?

Do indulge.

Message 30 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.