cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellin going to have us yelling or screaming? Come June.

tag
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Re: Yellin going to have us yelling or screaming? Come June.

I would be willing to trade some rewards for a robust economy.
Message 41 of 59
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically it's the worst of both worlds. Higher interest rates and so-so bonuses.

Yeah, in my view.  Not good for us rewards harvesters, but likely good for others, I suppose.

I suppose if you like to harvest 0% offers it's a winner's market. But if you like rewards then it's gonna suck. I currently have a couple of BT's running but could pay them off in the next week if I needed to.

I guess I won't be doing much more gardening if anything comes of it.

Since doom and gloom is on the horizon you might as well go for it.  It's calling for you.

Message 42 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So basically it's the worst of both worlds. Higher interest rates and so-so bonuses.

Yeah, in my view.  Not good for us rewards harvesters, but likely good for others, I suppose.

I suppose if you like to harvest 0% offers it's a winner's market. But if you like rewards then it's gonna suck. I currently have a couple of BT's running but could pay them off in the next week if I needed to.

Since doom and gloom is on the horizon you might as well go for it.  It's calling for you.

Pusher. Smiley Tongue

Message 43 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

^^LOL

Message 44 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

While rates must rise, there's always a regression to the mean, to at or around the historical 4% - 5% range, there's no compelling reason to assume it'll happen quickly. 

Message 45 of 59
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually said higher interest rates OR (if due to competition banks can't raise interest rates) so-so bonuses. If banks are able to raise interest rates, though, Open123 has a point that banks can then use a teaser rate to draw customers who would be prone to paying interest and will end up paying the higher rate later. That may give them enough business that they don't need to - at least not as much - give stellar bonuses to draw in new customers. I CAN see how in that case both "worse" things happen.

But as is often said here, the rules of the game are what they are. Right now, the advantage goes to churners, then, it may go to those who can take better advantage of better or longer intro rate and pay off before the high rate kicks in. Neither advantage is "fair", but it is what it is. Between the two I happen to prefer the better/longer intro rates, because overall, I think it's more important to learn how to manage money and pay off cards than to come up with reasons to spend a stash of cash in a short period of time.

Message 46 of 59
Open123
Super Contributor

@IgnatiusReilly wrote:
I would be willing to trade some rewards for a robust economy.

Of course, me too!  Low rates only really help the 1% with liquid assets and wherewithal to deploy them.

Message 47 of 59
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Pusher. Smiley Tongue

Who Me.gif

Nahhh!

Message 48 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@yfan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually said higher interest rates OR (if due to competition banks can't raise interest rates) so-so bonuses. If banks are able to raise interest rates, though, Open123 has a point that banks can then use a teaser rate to draw customers who would be prone to paying interest and will end up paying the higher rate later. That may give them enough business that they don't need to - at least not as much - give stellar bonuses to draw in new customers. I CAN see how in that case both "worse" things happen.

But as is often said here, the rules of the game are what they are. Right now, the advantage goes to churners, then, it may go to those who can take better advantage of better or longer intro rate and pay off before the high rate kicks in. Neither advantage is "fair", but it is what it is. Between the two I happen to prefer the better/longer intro rates, because overall, I think it's more important to learn how to manage money and pay off cards than to come up with reasons to spend a stash of cash in a short period of time.

Like covering otherwise normal spend?

Message 49 of 59
IgnatiusReilly
Regular Contributor

Open 123, I don't want the US to experience a "lost 20 years" like Japan.
Message 50 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.