Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yep, another AMEX CLI post

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Yep, another AMEX CLI post

So,  I requested a CLI two weeks ago (using automated phone service) and got the 7-10.  So, I noticed that I had a balance @15% utility when I made the request; unfortunately I did not pay that before requesting. I've had the account 5 months.  Anyway, I've checked all my credit reports and don't see any evidence that this request triggered a soft inq.  Any idea what this means?  Is it possible that having a balance--statement had not closed--at the time of CLI request triggers a decline?  I'll call on tomorrow because I have not yet received the letter and will follow up with a live rep, but any thoughts on the theory?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Yep, another AMEX CLI post

They've declined me so far for CLI, and I have also had the card about 5 months.

I called the credit department, and was told they used an internal scoring method that was used to decline my CLI.

I am hoping for an auto-CLI here at the 6 or 7 month mark.
Here we go again...
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChemGuy wrote:
So,  I requested a CLI two weeks ago (using automated phone service) and got the 7-10.  So, I noticed that I had a balance @15% utility when I made the request; unfortunately I did not pay that before requesting. I've had the account 5 months.  Anyway, I've checked all my credit reports and don't see any evidence that this request triggered a soft inq.  Any idea what this means?  Is it possible that having a balance--statement had not closed--at the time of CLI request triggers a decline?  I'll call on tomorrow because I have not yet received the letter and will follow up with a live rep, but any thoughts on the theory?

If you request a CLI before your required "waiting period" is up (whether on a new account or between CLIs), you will get the 7-10 message and there will be no pull, hard or soft.

When was your last CLI from Amex?

Message 3 of 10
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Never requested CLI before, this was my first. 

Message Edited by ChemGuy on 06-19-2008 06:34 AM
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ChemGuy wrote:
Never requested CLI before, this was my first. 

Interesting.  Never mind my theory above, then.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO- Wait until AFTER the 6 month statement-
Message 6 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

I didn't get an auto-CLI after 6 months with perfect payment, even though my EX score was up >50 points!.

I will consider asking after I have paid the 7th bill, but will probably wait for the year mark.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad I do not have an AMEX and never ever plan on getting one. It seems to me that they bully around their customers too much....something that does not fly with me.
Message 8 of 10
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

firstinlastout wrote:
I am glad I do not have an AMEX and never ever plan on getting one. It seems to me that they bully around their customers too much....something that does not fly with me.

Read enough posts here and you will hear the same comments (or worse) about every major CCC  Smiley Very Happy

Every company out there is feeling the heat and trying to reduce the likelyhood of losses
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 9 of 10
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

AMEX is easy to work with if you pay your bills and have some history with them.  I just checked my Optima account this morning and found they have increased my CL from $32,900 to $37,900.  I don't need that much credit but I find they will treat you well over the long haul.  The harrassment comes when new cardholders try to get too much, too fast.  Slow and steady wins the race.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.