Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes! NFCU membership! CC??....

tag
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Yes! NFCU membership! CC??....

Yay!! After a very long month of waiting, I finally got my membership today! =)   I opened a savings account only...and I guess as of now they just have a negative 5$ balance showing in there until I make the deposit. They didnt ask me to transfer anything or make a deposit immediately which was kind of weird but hey, cant complain! lol. Now...here's what I'm wondering...

Should I app for a CC now? Or should I wait until I have made my deposit, or established some sort of relationship with them? If I app now and they see I have -5$ in the account, is that going to make them say.."ummm".... .

BTW...if anyone is wondering....I tried to apply online but the drop down menu says that if you're joining through a family member or household member that they have to already be a member of NFCU...INCORRECT!!!! I spoke to 3 different reps, and each one had to put me on hold to check, but every one of them came back saying "ok you are still eligible even though your stepfather isn't a member."   So that little note is incorrect on the website. If you have a family member that qualifies, then you qualify. My stepfather works for the DOD and is an engineer for the Air Force but he is NOT a member of NFCU.  Make sure you call and do the membership if this is something that applies to you.

Oh...AND...I also got approved for 6k limit on Care Credit today also! weeee.  Now, will my credit score  drop due to the new account being open? I don't want to wait too long to app for the nfcu CC if my score is going to drop due to the new account being open. 

I would really rather not wait, but like I said, if I app now and I just opened my account today with a -5$ balance, I don't know how that is going to affect my approval or if theyre going to start requesting verification letters and all of that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Amazon store $2500(10/12), Cap1 $1500 (10/12), Discover $1700 (11/1/12).
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Yes! NFCU membership! CC??....

Congrats on your membership! When I joined in 2008, I used my father who had never been a member. They took my app over the phone- no problems with it at all.
Message 2 of 34
sassyj9374
Established Member

Congrats on the membership!! I just got "In" last month myself!

Don't hesitate to app. I waited until I got my welcome packet, but that was just me. Right after that, I went online and applied. I got the 3-5 day message, they asked for some dpcuments and within a day I was approved for $1500!  It's been a month later almost to the day and I've improved my credit report somewhat..apped yesterday and got approved this morning for their nrewards for $2500.00. They are ever so gracious for a newbie like me! I encourage you to pull the trigger and app. It can only get better from here!!

NFCU nREWARDS~ $2500
NavCheck~ $2000
NFCU cash rewards ~$1500
Cap1~ $500
VS ~$350
Cap 1 (sc)~ $300
Walmart $300
Message 3 of 34
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

thanks!  yeah, when I tried to appline online there is a little drop box that says if you're applying through a family member, they must already be a member. I wonder why it says that if it's not true!!

What sort of documents did they ask for?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 4 of 34
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! NFCU is amazing. If your willing to take the HP I would get the CC as soon as possible. When I joined in 2010 I called in to ask if I was eligible. I told the guy my grandfather on my mothers side was a marine during WW2 and my pop pop on my fathers side was in the Navy during WW2. I told him I wasn't sure if that made me eligible since they weren't members themselves but on the site it says Grandparents. The CSR told me their having served made me eligible. I called back a few hours later, explained to the new CSR my conversation with the other CSR and she opened up my accounts right away, setup my online banking and gave me my member number all in one call. You're going to love NFCU.

Message 5 of 34
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

That's great!
I'm excited!

So the negative 5$ that's in the account now won't affect my app for the CC at all? That seems so strange lol.

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 6 of 34
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Nope wont bother it at all  :-)

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 7 of 34
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

I don't know which one to app for!! Lol I'm scrolling down the menu and can't decide

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 8 of 34
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@Sitori wrote:
I don't know which one to app for!! Lol I'm scrolling down the menu and can't decide

NFCU's CashRewards card is shaping up to be one of the best in the business. They're beta testing quarterly bonus categories (like Citi Dividend and Chase Freedom) and there's no minimum to cashout plus you still get the base everyday percentage. The standard in the business is a 50 dollar minimum for redemption and like I said NFCU has no minimum. So even if you only have one dollar in cashrewards you can transfer it to your NFCU savings/checking.

Message 9 of 34
Sitori
Frequent Contributor

Ooooo good call. I have discover more and I don't like that 50$ rule lol

EQ 701, TU 685, EX ?
Wallet:
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.