Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yes or No new Capital One account

tag
TwoBeFree
Contributor

Yes or No new Capital One account

I have a secured Capital One account started out with a $200 limit I have increased it to $1500 and it will be a year old in Feb 2015. Should I apply for an unsecured card now or wait unit it is a year old account? Should I pay the card off in before applying for an another Capital card?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: Yes or No new Capital One account

Unlesss you've been on an app spree lately, an inquiry or 2 isn't going to hurt you.  Most credit card sites have a pre approval page you can check to see if there are any offers for you, (You can't have opted out to use this) and its only a soft pull.

Might check Cap 1 first since you have a card with them.  Stay away from the prime card sites like Discover.  Their "offers" aren't pre approvals.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Much more information regarding your situation is needed before anyone can give you sound advice. What are you scores, what is the balance on the card you currently have, do you have anything else on your credit report? Once we know this, we can help you out. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd check chase pre approval site . You should be good for a freedom or a discover . Stay away from capital one since any app with them would cost you 3 pulls .
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I wouldn't.

+1

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TwoBeFree wrote:

I have a secured Capital One account started out with a $200 limit I have increased it to $1500 and it will be a year old in Feb 2015. Should I apply for an unsecured card now or wait unit it is a year old account? Should I pay the card off in before applying for an another Capital card?

I would wait until the card is a year old. You may also be able to get the card converted to an unsecured card at that time. 

With regards to paying the card off, you want something to show when the statement cuts (and gets sent to you), which you then pay in full. I would avoid paying off the card before the statement cuts so that CapOne can see that you're using the card. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@TwoBeFree wrote:

I would wait until the card is a year old. You may also be able to get the card converted to an unsecured card at that time. 

With regards to paying the card off, you want something to show when the statement cuts (and gets sent to you), which you then pay in full. I would avoid paying off the card before the statement cuts so that CapOne can see that you're using the card. 

Discover cards will be on the AMEX network before this happens.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital one secured cards do not unsecure. Of you want an unsecured card go to their website and do the prequalify link. If a card comes up, apply for it and then close the secured card once you receive it.
Message 9 of 11
mrsjr
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Capital one secured cards do not unsecure. Of you want an unsecured card go to their website and do the prequalify link. If a card comes up, apply for it and then close the secured card once you receive it.

I agree.  Check the pre-approval link first.  If it says you're pre-qualified, I would apply.  Their pre-qualifications seems very reliable.

Starting Score: 601
Current Score: 739 TU
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.