Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yikes, FX Chase Sapphire vs Citi Prestige

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yikes, FX Chase Sapphire vs Citi Prestige

It turns out Citi offers FX rate that is .01 lower than Chase even though they are both no fee credit card.  I had spent majority of my shopping money on the Chase too, I should have spent it on the Citi.  I could have saved over $100 from just that .01 in exchange rate.  Buyer beware!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Yikes, FX Chase Sapphire vs Citi Prestige

Are you comparing visa with visa. Or a MasterCard and a visa. As the exchange is decided by MasterCard, visa, etc.

I have found my MasterCard and Visa get similar rates. It depends on how the factors are faring as MasterCard and Visa calculate exchange rate differently. I also noticed the exchange rate is calculated on the date posted on MasterCard as I saved $2 on a hotel bill when it posted after being pending.
Message 2 of 5
PointLager
Established Contributor

Chase United Club, in my experience , has the worst rate vs Amex Plat and Barclays arrival plus
Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PointLager wrote:
Chase United Club, in my experience , has the worst rate vs Amex Plat and Barclays arrival plus

But as stated above, the issuing bank doesn't determine rate (apart from any FTF fee they add per card T&C), it's the network that does.   And, generally, it is posting date that counts, which leads people to draw wrong conclusions when they make purchases on the same day but post on different days.

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Are you comparing visa with visa. Or a MasterCard and a visa. As the exchange is decided by MasterCard, visa, etc.

I have found my MasterCard and Visa get similar rates. It depends on how the factors are faring as MasterCard and Visa calculate exchange rate differently. I also noticed the exchange rate is calculated on the date posted on MasterCard as I saved $2 on a hotel bill when it posted after being pending.

Yes.  This article shows that MC seems to have slightly better rates than Visa, at least for UK cards

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2015/05/mastercard-vs-visa-for-using-abroad-which-wins

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.