Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Came, You Saw, You Upgraded

tag
plasticguy
Established Contributor

You Came, You Saw, You Upgraded

That's the message I get when signing on to Amex. I carry the blue. They are offering as preapproval the Gold Card fee for a year and the Platinum . The question is since it's suppose to be an upgrade, why then is it necessary to do a hard pull and go through the process as though you are opening a new card. My guess is that since the Blue is considered a so called "credit card", that you are allowed to pay off over time, which they don't seem to like, ( I always PIF) the other's are "Charge Cards" I had the green years ago and no longer carry it., They backdated the blue to the original opening of the green which gave me 10 extra years of history. Personally, I will stick with what I have

Anyone wish to expand on the term "Upgrade"?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: You Came, You Saw, You Upgraded

I've got the same 'Upgrade' offer again right now, and I've got both a Blue and a Gold.  Not sure what the trigger is, but it showed up last year, too, I think closer to the end of the year.  Hung around a while, then disappeared when I didn't bite.

I've always viewed their calling it an upgrade as marketing spin, as I doubt that it's really anything other than a preapproval of sorts - I assume they did a soft on one or more of my CBRs and decided I was worthy at the time, but they'll darned well want to make sure I'm still worthy before approving me  if I accept their 'offer' (and then continue to check on me to make sure I STAY worthy if they did give it to me).

*shrug*  I do travel a bit, but more internationally than domestically, and my preferred airlines don't match up with the airport clubs the Plat would get me into, so it's not a good fit for me, either.

ETA:  For myself, I also can't really see the sense in me paying an annual fee that's approximately equal to my monthly rent!! Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by Scamp on 09-19-2009 06:46 AM

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Scamp wrote:

I've got the same 'Upgrade' offer again right now, and I've got both a Blue and a Gold.  Not sure what the trigger is, but it showed up last year, too, I think closer to the end of the year.  Hung around a while, then disappeared when I didn't bite.

I've always viewed their calling it an upgrade as marketing spin, as I doubt that it's really anything other than a preapproval of sorts - I assume they did a soft on one or more of my CBRs and decided I was worthy at the time, but they'll darned well want to make sure I'm still worthy before approving me  if I accept their 'offer' (and then continue to check on me to make sure I STAY worthy if they did give it to me).

*shrug*  I do travel a bit, but more internationally than domestically, and my preferred airlines don't match up with the airport clubs the Plat would get me into, so it's not a good fit for me, either.

ETA:  For myself, I also can't really see the sense in me paying an annual fee that's approximately equal to my monthly rent!! Smiley Tongue

If PenFed and Macy's can issue new CC's based on a soft pull (only!) so can Amex. If you are already doing business with them a hard INQ is not required!

Message 3 of 5
Scamp
Valued Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Scamp wrote:

If PenFed and Macy's can issue new CC's based on a soft pull (only!) so can Amex. If you are already doing business with them a hard INQ is not required!

When I had been a Gold card client for a bit over a year, I accepted one of the 'upgrade' offers such as plasticguy described above for the Blue card, and I assure you that, despite the preapproval soft involved in providing the offer, accepting it did involve a hard inq.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 4 of 5
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

It may have been done but is not necessary. Those other two entities both issued me new CC's within the last three months without a hard INQ. If they can do it Amex could do it (if they felt like it). Once you are doing business with an issuer they may obtain any information they need based on a soft INQ.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.