cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can only have 3 cards. What do you keep?

tag
I-think-I-can
Valued Contributor

Re: You can only have 3 cards. What do you keep?

OOH! Great question...and a little tough to answer!

I would have to go with:

NFCU, FNBO Sheetz, and Venture

Starting Scores 2/13/15: EQ 635 EX 674 TU 684 ////7/16/15 Scores: EQ 661 EX 669 TU 703 //// 2/15/16 Scores EQ 652 EX 647 TU 756 //// 3/24/16 Scores: EQ 661 EX 649 TU 773 //// EQ 670 EX 653 TU 768 (EQ And EX still tainted)
Goal Scores: 760 across the board
Message 41 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would probably go with the Chase Freedom, Sam's Club Mastercard and AMEX Blue Cash.  Hard to leave Discover out. 

Message 42 of 52
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

FOR ME It would be:

Everyday Driver - QuickSilver VS Sig  - I hate playing Rotating Cats Games, I want rewarded for every transaction regardless of Cat and be Unlimited.  

Amazon - Chase Amazon - What can I say, I'm a Amazon-O-holic, I only use this card for Amazon purchasing, and point add up very quickly. 

Big Ticket Item / Balance Carrier - Discover - I have a static 8% interest rate with Discover and 15K CL, which allows me to make decent big ticket purchases without killing my UTL. Discover will even throw me a 0% from time to time... Love those guys. 

Other cards in play:

Slate - Currently carrying a 3K BT 

Quicksilver WMC - My Auto Bill Paying Card - ! want Rewarded for paying my bills - Tee Hee!

Apple/Barclays - Carrying 2 iPads on a 0% 18 month deal .... Will use for another 0% when I upgrade my DD and mines Macbooks to Macbook Airs.

All other cards are SD'd .... I have been consolidating cards and CL where I can.... Tired of managing tons of cards.   

Message 43 of 52
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

Diners Club

Amex Platinum

CSP

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 44 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Citi Prestige

2. American Express Blue Cash Preferred

3. Barclaycard Arrival Plus

Message 45 of 52
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

CSP (main dining card)

Sallie Mae (gas/groceries/amazon)

Freedom (don't really use that much, but due to dining this quarter will abuse it and transfer UR points to CSP)  

Really can't limit it to 3 cards, not really fairSmiley Happy.  Every card has a purpose or most do.  I try to get rid of ones that no longer serve some type of purpose.  Venture one is only their as it is my oldest or it would be gone... Delta will be gone when AF comes around, used that to get in with AMEX.  Will continue to refine card portfolio as times evoles and my needs evolve and those oh so lovely signup bonuses/spend requirements

Message 46 of 52
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Forcing myself into 3 cards...

1)Double Cash

2)Sallie Mae

3)Discover

...and my MSUFCU platinum (but I use it as a PLOC...so I'm not cheating Smiley Tongue)

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 47 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd probably go with:

CSP

AMEX BCE

Discover IT

However, if I could chose from any card, I'd swap the IT for a Citi DC. 

Message 48 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hyperventilating at the thought of leaving 35 of my buddies behind. Smiley Surprised

But if I really had to choose three major cards, it'd be

1. SallieMae M/C

2. Fido Amex (probably would substitute Citi DoubleCash  if I had it)

3. USBank Travel Rewards Visa

I hate to give up Discover, but I'll want a Visa for CostCo starting next year.  For a Visa, it's a hard choice between the Freedom (5% in quarterly categories) and the USBank, but the Freedom quarterly categories haven't been as useful to me lately while USBank gives me decent points year-round.

Store cards don't count, right?  Because I'd really want to also keep my Kohl's for 15/20/30% off using the card.

And I can open, exploit and close cards for signup bonuses, right, as long as I only keep the three main cards open, right?

Oh, heck, who am I kidding?  I could never hack this!

Chris.

Message 49 of 52
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

It's hard...at least 4 (maybe 5 is better Smiley Embarassed).

CSP

Freedom

BCP

Citi DC

and Discover it Smiley LOL

Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.