Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You can't make this stuff up.

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

You can't make this stuff up.

Before going back to the garden, I decided to app for 2 different commenity store cards. I got the denial letters in the mail today, so it's back to the garden, but I noticed something odd.

Both letters appear to use the same scoring system, 1-999 (weird, right?)

But here is what is really wierd. I applied for  both on the same day, so nothing change.

One letter states my "Credit score" is 697, and the other is 184.

What gives?

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: You can't make this stuff up.

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

Before going back to the garden, I decided to app for 2 different commenity store cards. I got the denial letters in the mail today, so it's back to the garden, but I noticed something odd.

But here is what is really wierd. I applied for  both on the same day, so nothing change.

What gives?

Neither of these is a FICO score given the stated range.   Were both scores from the same CRA on the same day?

Also I will move this to the credit cards forum.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

What gives?

Are both EX pulls or did one pull EQ?

Message 3 of 15
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

What gives?

It looks like their internal scoring platform. It's possible that the first app received the 697, and plummeted when the second one was received. Internal scoring is more "immediate" than a credit bureau update. Sorry about the denials.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

What gives?

It looks like their internal scoring platform. It's possible that the first app received the 697, and plummeted when the second one was received. Internal scoring is more "immediate" than a credit bureau update. Sorry about the denials.

From Comenity - How was your credit score determind?

"Our credit-evaluating system assigns a numerical value, or score, to a number of pieces of credit bureau information.  The score is based on an analysis of the credit performance of a large number of consumers."

I think it's the stupidest thing, this is how banks adjusted themselves to be in line with the laws that require them to provide a consumer with a letter of why and a credit score but don't want to actually give us a useful credit score, because this isn't actually even a credit score by an agency, it is a made up score by comenity.

Message 5 of 15
atd1970
Regular Contributor

Same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I applied for FRN and Total Rewards on the same day, and both EX HP (tired of waiting for the popup).

Anyway, FRN was declined and the letter said I had 447 out of 999. Total Rewards was declined and said I had 912 out of 999. FYI, my TU and EQ are low 700's. Not sure about EX, but the info is pretty similar.

My only guess is that Commenity uses a different model for Mastercard, Visa, and Store Cards. For example, a collection is weighted higher in one than another.

Just a guess. By the way, I did call for a Recon on the Total Rewards, and the CA told me to call back in a few weeks when an INQ ages off.

Message 6 of 15
Involver
Valued Contributor

Trollololol.
Message 7 of 15
fot1
Established Contributor

I have to ask how many INQ's does this make? Have you hit 50 this year?

Too many to list..
Message 8 of 15
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Involver wrote:
Trollololol.

+1 Forum Signage: Please Don't Kudo the Trolls Smiley Happy

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 15
chalupaman
Super Contributor

The inquiries just never end. Why do you feel the need to apply for every single random card in sight? I think it'd be good if you could come up with a realistic plan and stick to it and seriously go back and read all the other threads you've made here in the past where lots and lots of people have tried their best to help you out. Maybe take a break from the website for a long while.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.