Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You've GOT to be kidding me

tag
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Re: You've GOT to be kidding me

I wish I could get the gold card in the form of the zync. The zync looks awesome, but the rewards really don't seem to add up to much.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 44
smc733
Valued Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

I wish I could get the gold card in the form of the zync. The zync looks awesome, but the rewards really don't seem to add up to much.

To me, rewards are secondary.  

A good mobile app/website

Good customer service

Good benefits

Showing pending charges

Are all more important to me than earning a bit extra on rewards.  If I use my cards for my daily spending, get the benefits of credit, and occasionally get some $25 thrown at me for a statement credit, I'm thrilled.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 12 of 44
ScoreBooster
Frequent Contributor

The folks at AMEX are the most arrogant guys out there.

When I had an account with them, made huge transactions (about $10K/month) and was always current. All of a sudden, they wanted to have a look at ALL documents and numbers of my business, claiming they got "suspicious" because the visitor-counter on my business-website (which I added a week earlier) was so low. Funny, huh?Smiley Very Happy

I told them they could keep their "services" and that my business-numbers won't be shared with anybody - excpept the IRS if they ask me to.

What I learned that day is that their "no spending-limit" is a huge bogus - in fact, if you have a CL, you can at least depend on that.

Message 13 of 44
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@ScoreBooster wrote:

When I had an account with them, made huge transactions (about $10K/month) and was always current. All of a sudden, they wanted to have a look at ALL documents and numbers of my business, claiming they got "suspicious" because the visitor-counter on my business-website (which I added a week earlier) was so low. Funny, huh?Smiley Very Happy

I told them they could keep their "services" and that my business-numbers won't be shared with anybody - excpept the IRS if they ask me to.

What I learned that day is that their "no spending-limit" is a huge bogus - in fact, if you have a CL, you can at least depend on that.

+++1

They are a total PITA.

They're either willing to loan someone money or they're not.  It shouldn't make a difference what that money is being spent on, it's none of their business.

And I'm not trying to stir something up here at all, but if somebody's claim to fame is "AMEX will allow me to borrow from them!", I think somebody's priorities are a little bit off.

I mean no disrespect, but credit limits/card types/APRs, etc. mean nothing. 

What does mean something is you, and how you live on your own hook.

Message 14 of 44
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Well, I want a non Visa/MC to pair with my BofA visa in my wallet, and I absolutely hate everything about my Discover card, so that leaves Amex...

Well if it doesn't pan out and you still want an Amex you could try one of the cards that uses Amex as a payment network... BofA, Fidelity, Citi (?), a few others. Less of the hassle same network. And I could completely understand why you had Discover..I alway pre-screen companies by calling before I apply. They didn't make the cut.

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 15 of 44
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@ScoreBooster wrote:

+1 

I would axe them in a heart beat if they asked for verification. What matters is I get the credit and you get paid on time. And you're correct "NPSL" doesn't equal unlimited spending in fact I talked to a CSR and she said it's determined by your average payment made, credit, income, etc. Well..."duh". So they're just a credit card company that has non listed limit so you can be PIF in the month. 

I'm glad they haven't gave me any of that mess. 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 16 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to disagree that a specified cl is better than no specified limit in that it is dependable.  In the last few months we've seen forum contributors talk aout how as they paid down a balance on a cc, their cl dropped as well (month after month until their balance was "0" and their credit line was "0.")  Then last week one person said that their card was up for renewal and the ccc closed their account instad of sending new cards because of high balances on other accounts in their credit file.  I also read here where a ccc cut the cl of a cardholder because of a number of inquiries in a short period of time.  And if you have  $3k cl, try getting a $3k cash advance.  So it would seem that almost anything is negotiable anymore.  A $5k credit line might pay $5k of your attorney's fees or a $5k down payment of a card or your $5k Sallie Mae balance or it might kick back "transaction declined" (and not just with Amex.)

Message 17 of 44
smc733
Valued Contributor

I like the charge card mentality, it fits well with someone who PIFs both cards every month.  (And I can give garbage Discover the boot).

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 18 of 44
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

@smc733 wrote:

Well, I want a non Visa/MC to pair with my BofA visa in my wallet, and I absolutely hate everything about my Discover card, so that leaves Amex...

Why is this exactly?

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 19 of 44
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@ReVeLaTeD wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

Why is this exactly?

I feel the same way about our Discover cards. We mostly use them for the 5% cash back rewards up to their measly rewards limits. I get irritated when they advertise about being the best reward card. Not so for us.

They don't pay cash back at all for use at stores such as WalMart. We're in a small town, and WalMart is the cheapest and best in town, yet no rewards from Discover. Also, you have to spend up to a certain amount each year until you get even their standard low cash back....like $3k before you start getting rewards??? [You'd have to read the fine print for the details...I haven't read them in awhile.]

Also, when they have a cash back offer on clothes (for example) and you buy clothes at (for example) Nike...no rewards if it is categorized as "merchandise" rather than clothing. I've talked in circles with Discover after having used the card for their specified 5% back category and then not having the charge qualify for their reward because of how it was coded.

I think their highly-touted cash back program is a scam...and most people don't pay attention to the nitty gritty details and lose out.

Message 20 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.