Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young and Needs Credit

tag
rustystick
New Contributor

Re: Young and Needs Credit

still don't understand why not AU... you don't have to give her the card... (and after few mons of AU she can get her own and then u can take her off?)

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 21 of 27
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@rustystick wrote:

still don't understand why not AU... you don't have to give her the card... (and after few mons of AU she can get her own and then u can take her off?)

Same here, at least 1 card. Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 22 of 27
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@rustystick wrote:

+1 its the simplest way, untill you have a card on the report most places don't even add you to thier mailing lists. Just 3 months is probably enough to do it.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 23 of 27
creditjail
Regular Contributor

@rustystick wrote:

The reason I did not want to do the AU as the first option is she is 19 and I want her to start making things happen for herself on her own.  I will do the AU if  that is what is needed but only in the end.  Smiley Very Happy

FICO scores:EQ- 723 (6/13), TU- 722 (6/13), EX- ?
My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,
Store Cards-Lowes- 8K, Ashley Furniture-6K, American Furniture-2.5K,

Message 24 of 27
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@creditjail wrote:

@rustystick wrote:

The reason I did not want to do the AU as the first option is she is 19 and I want her to start making things happen for herself on her own.  I will do the AU if  that is what is needed but only in the end.  Smiley Very Happy

The AU isn't necessary, but it does give her better ground to stand on for her applications.  Like the others have said, you can take her off once she gets one or two approvals, but it'll help her gain those approvals in the first place.  

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 25 of 27
rustystick
New Contributor

@creditjail wrote:

@rustystick wrote:

by that logic, you should have her do the research on her own... (i learn all about credit by myself as many has here)

AU after few denial probably won't do much for her since she will rack up inquiries. 

sub-prime + secured credit cards not only have low limits, some has a lot of fees. why go that route when you have the luxury of good payment history? 

best route the acheive what you want is to have her apply to bank that she already has relationship with(student card), if that doesn't work you should AU her and have her to apply for the same card in few months. 

CSP 10k 0 Discover It 7.8k AmazonVisa 3k Freedom 1500 US Bank Cash Rewards 1500 BofA123 3300 SallieMae 3800
Message 26 of 27
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

When I was 19 the only way to get a CC was when I had a cosigner.. Some stupid new rule if you are 22 and younger.. I had my first CC with Boa(student card w/cosigner) and was approved with no problem .. The card is still with me and I was able to removed the cosigner after 1 yrs...

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.