Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young and Needs Credit

tag
creditjail
Regular Contributor

Young and Needs Credit

I'm trying to help my 19 year old daughter establish credit.  Currently she has no credit/no score.  I did not want to put her as an authorized user on my cards because I want her to start this on her own.  What would be a good secured credit card she can start off with.  She currently is a college student, also working part-time for a Bank. 

FICO scores:EQ- 723 (6/13), TU- 722 (6/13), EX- ?
My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,
Store Cards-Lowes- 8K, Ashley Furniture-6K, American Furniture-2.5K,

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Re: Young and Needs Credit

I hear Capital One is one of the easiest to get.  Other banks that offer them are USAA, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and US Bank.  This is probably not and exhaustive list.

Just be aware, from what I have read, that even secured card applications can be denied, although I think the conditions that warrant a denial are most likely pretty severe.  I have never had a secured card so I can't really comment with first-hand knowledge.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 2 of 27
pakman92
Established Contributor

Doesn't she has student loans?

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 3 of 27
creditjail
Regular Contributor

This is her first year in college

My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,

Message 4 of 27
creditjail
Regular Contributor

@randeman wrote:

I hear Capital One is one of the easiest to get.  Other banks that offer them are USAA, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and US Bank.  This is probably not and exhaustive list.

Just be aware, from what I have read, that even secured card applications can be denied, although I think the conditions that warrant a denial are most likely pretty severe.  I have never had a secured card so I can't really comment with first-hand knowledge.

Thanks I will have her start looking this week...she doesn't need anything major a small credit line would be something for her to start building her credit.

Message 5 of 27
CEOriginal
Contributor

Discover It for Students and Capital One Journey are both targeted towards college students.

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 6 of 27
creditjail
Regular Contributor

@CEOriginal wrote:

Discover It for Students and Capital One Journey are both targeted towards college students.

Are those secured cards?

Message 7 of 27
myjourney
Super Contributor

SDFCU has a secured card for as little as $250

https://www.sdfcu.org/silvercloud/index.php?q=secured%20card

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 27
Stralem
Established Contributor

No, they're not secured. But they're relatively easy to acquire. The Journey card in particular.

Which, by the way, is pretty nice for a student card. It gets cash back at > 1%, has no annual fee, and has a really neat opaque red-and-black design. I've gotten compliments on several occasions because of it.

Can't say much about the Discover It student version.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 9 of 27
CEOriginal
Contributor

Yeah you can't beat the rewards and lack of AF. And Cap1 is notorious for low CL for new customers, so nothing to worry about there haha.

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.