cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Favorite & Least Favorite Credit Card Company!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your Favorite & Least Favorite Credit Card Company!

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're so right about the beeping! It's so annoying. Did you know now they have the ability to review recorded calls and they will hold you to what you say / think you said upon reviewing. To me that's kind of creepy/shady.. What do you guys think about this? 

So long as they make the tapes available to hold the CSR responsible too, I have no issues with it.  However, I've found that in life, email/tapes often go missing or are lost when it's in the contra party's favor.

That's why I use the chat whenever possible. I love having documentation to reference!

Message 151 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

We usually talk about what our favorite cards are, but I thought it would be interesting to see who your favorite & least favorite credit card company is. 

Company doesn't really matter to me.  I like AmEx's backdating but that doesn't really make them my favorite.  It's a matter of specific products for me.

You make an excellent point.

Message 152 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most Favorite is Capital One.  When I moved to the US they were the only ones to offer me an unsecured card.  That built via credit steps to a reasonable limit.  Then when my father was having health issues they were the ones who gave me a CLI so I could cover any emergency travel expenses.  Finally they just offered me an auto upgrade to QS or Venture (I took QS).

Least favorite AMEX.  I once worked for a company where a whole group of us had corporate AMEX cards due to large amounts of travel.  In any 12 month period all of us would have at least one invalid charge on our accounts.  When I left the company I jumped through all the hoops AMEX had, including returning the card in person to an AMEX rep where they cut it up in front of me, then a year later I get an abusive letter from them about using a closed account, and not returning my card, and the CSR was not nice in trying to resolve that one.

Message 153 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

Favorite companies

Bank of America 

Citibank

Least favorite companies:

Capital One*

Merrick Bank**

*Waiting to hear from the Retention department.

**Closing account November 2015.

Message 154 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had a bad experience with any card in my sig.  BoA was a pain to scrape out my rewards during the PC process, but in the end they honored their end.  

CapOne was a pain to open the card, but that was my own fault.  I attempted to guess my account number from the welcome letter... many times Smiley Happy

I'd say my personal favorites are Barclay and Chase so far.  Chase is my lowest limit, but I use AARP the most.  Barclay has the best rewards structure.

CapOne was pretty awesome in that I've charged ~$500, returned a 7 dollar item (thus going under my $500 for the bonus), but was still able to keep the signup bonus.

BoA is pretty cool with the BBR card and the Preferred rewards program.

Amex is Amex.  They're my go-to gas card and my go-to Costco card.  Unfortunately that will all change.  Hopefully they come out with a new product offering to fill a void, because they have been responsive to my requests and I love their business model.  Unfortunately, none of their current cards would do me much good.  Glad to have established my MSD though Smiley Happy

Least favorite: Citi.  I would be all over the Double Cash train right now if they would have extended the targeted $200 signup bonus offer to me.  Unfortunately, the CSR processing my potential app said that the offer wasn't available for me.  Oh well, guess Citi doesn't want my business.  May have to PC my Costco card before Citi takes over unless they can give me a 3%+ on Costco gas.

Message 155 of 174
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

Favorites: American Express - They actually extended me credit while still having a few baddies on my reports and scores in the mid-600's. When I applied for the Gold Delta SkyMiles card, the signup offer was 30K miles for $1,000 in 3 months. I met the spend requirement in the first month and saw they actually honored a newer offer by rewarding me with 35K miles. Pretty excited about that. Didn't even have to ask for it or anything. Oh, and their website / mobile app is fantastic. I've been moving a lot of money through the Gold Delta card while I PIF, but I hope to never trigger a FR. 

Capital One - They extended me unsecured credit before anyone else would. I initially opened a $200 secured card with them and applied for the QS1 a month after receiving the secured card. They approved me for a $300CL on the QS1 and enrolled me in credit steps. Once I graduated through credit steps after 5 months, they gave CLI's to both of my cards and I now have a $500CL on each card. My experience with them has been great so far. I've only had to call customer service once when my original secured card was lost in the mail, but the CSR was extremely friendly. 

Least Favorite: Credit One - While they offered a $300 unsecured CL, their interest rates are high (mine was 23.9%) and they have absolutely no grace period. After finding this out by thouroughly reading the Cardmember Agreement when the card arrived, I never even used the card and canceled it before the one year mark to avoid their silly monthly / annual fees. They even gave me a $100 CLI after having the card for a month, but I still never touched it. 

Capital Bank / OpenSky - This secured card isn't too bad. It reports as unsecured and the interest rate isn't horrible at 17.45% with a pretty standard $29 AF. Thing is, this card has no opportunity whatsoever to grow with you. There are no unsecured CLI's and there are no graduations to better or unsecured cards through this bank. Their website is extremely cheap and antiquated and they hold your payments for up to five business days. While having this card at a $200 secured CL caused my scores to jump over 20 points, it was still a mediocre account at best. 

Message 156 of 174
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Favorites

1.  BoA:  in 2007, issued me the only fixed-rate card that I still have open, so they take first place in my book.

2.  FNBO:  excellent targeted APR promotions for purchases and BT, approved me for their recent 6.25% V card offering

3.  Barclays:  took a chance on me and approved me for their excellent 8.00% V card in 2013.

4.  Citi:  approved me for cards with exceptional APR rates (cards sadly since closed, by them), gave me highest individual revolving CL at ~$25,000.  Excellent low APR rates.

5.  Discover:  my very first credit card.

Least Favorites

1.  SunTrust:  attempted rate jack, they closed account after me declining.

2.  U.S. Bank:  high interest rates, also closed account after I declined a rate jack.

3.  Chase:  once my lowest-rate card (P+1.65%), rate-jacked me and so I had to close account.  Subsequent APRs have been the highest ever, among my cards.

4.  Amex (not the Amex card network, but the card issuer themself):  never experienced the great customer service that others have quoted, not impressed with product line up or APRs.

ETA -  5.  CapOne:  low/unusable CLs, poor customer service, refusal to remove AF...ruined what could have otherwise been a great card, for me.

Message 157 of 174
TURNERHOOVER
Established Contributor

Currently: Chase

Worst Ever: CapOne 

EX 727 | EQ 720 | TU 740

FREEDOM 4.5k | BCP 9.5k | DISCOVER 2.5k | ARRIVAL+ 7.5k | RITZ CARLTON 15k
No new Apps till Dec 2016
Message 158 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fav: all

Least fav: none
Message 159 of 174
Anonymous
Not applicable

As if u couldnt tell by my sn, my fav is amex for the customer service and purchase protection. 

For least favorite, I dont think i really have one or else i wouldnt pursue a credit line w them. But i dont like capitalone bc of their low limits.. have canceled their card b4 due to no CLI.

Message 160 of 174
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.