Your NEW RED CARD is COMING!!!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Your NEW RED CARD is COMING!!!

@Anonymous wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@wmweeza wrote:

I wish there was a way to apply for the non-store version (mastercard, visa) but there doesn't seem to be any way

Sorry!! They don't offer that card any more.

Ron.

What's the highest purchase you've ever made with your 14 year old card? 

I think it was PS4. I usually used the card to buy groceries.

Ron.

Message 21 of 47
Ron1
Super Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I actually had some use for my target store card that i was first approved for in Clearwater Beach Florida on one of my work trips. The problem was that after the first auto-CLI from $300 to $500 after only 2 months, it stuck at that limit like molasses and it never could get another lift again no matter what. After 2 years i gave up on it and closed it.

Wonder if they might do a little better now since they're going mastercard Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear!!! Smiley Sad

Ron.

Message 22 of 47
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@wmweeza wrote:

I wish there was a way to apply for the non-store version (mastercard, visa) but there doesn't seem to be any way

Sadly it was discontinued in 2010. Long story short, too many people defaulted on their Target cards, making it too expensive for Target to continue the Visa version. 

The Visa version was always an aspirational and nostalgic card for me, as my very first adult job was Target. I had the store card for a number of years, and always hoped for a Visa upgrade. Then they closed the card when I didn't use it for a year (moving + out of work).

Maybe once they figure out their MC transistion they'll open up applications again. 

The card used to have a smart chip when they were first came out.

Ron.

Too bad it was never actually used for card data encryption - then we might have had a 10 year head start on Chip + PIN/Signature. 

I remember it had a USB reader that you plugged into your PC, and this allowed you downloaded coupons onto the smart chip. It also allowed you to shop online (select retailers) without having to enter your credit card details.

Here's an old article about how and why it failed: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2004/09/01/379524/

Message 23 of 47
Ron1
Super Contributor

Yes,  I remember. I think I still have the reader. Amex's The Blue also got the smart chip. No one support it. They discontinued the card with the Chip.

Ron.

Message 24 of 47
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

After seeing this thread I figured that now, with the shift to Mastercard, it couldn't hurt to give them a call and ask about the possibility of upgrading a store card into a Mastercard. The customer service agent said it was not possible at this time, but indicated that it might be in the near future. I'm not sure how solid that is of course. It sort of seemed halfway between a legitimate, 'yeah, I've heard this really might happen' and 'I'm just saying this to placate you so you'll hang up.' Smiley LOL

I guess we'll see.

Message 25 of 47
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

I'm confused why TD/Target is even bothering to offer a MC. I'd be totally OK if they downgraded us all down to the store card only. I stopped using the card outside of Target when they took the rewards for non-Target purchases away.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 26 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wmweeza wrote:

There is the RedBurd Prepaid Amex.   But not clear why "normal" users would use it outside Target as the only reward is 5% at Target.

Message 27 of 47
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wmweeza wrote:

There is the RedBurd Prepaid Amex.   But not clear why "normal" users would use it outside Target as the only reward is 5% at Target.

The Redcard Prepaid Amex can be used at locations that only accept American Express, such as Costco, or for some American Express promotions.

My Redcard visa CL was slashed some time ago, and for a while the prepaid card was the only way to get the 5% on larger purchases.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 28 of 47
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wmweeza wrote:

The Redcard Prepaid Amex can be used at locations that only accept American Express, such as Costco, or for some American Express promotions.

My Redcard visa CL was slashed some time ago, and for a while the prepaid card was the only way to get the 5% on larger purchases.

RIght, you can use it as an Amex card, but reward free.

Message 29 of 47
indiasnowden
Regular Contributor

Is the MC still happening? Target lost their lawsuit with MC over the data breach while rolling out new cards...I just briefly scanned the PR release. Anybody know for sure if the MC conversion is still going through? I prefer to keep my store card if rewards will only before Target.

Starting Score: 'All three mid 500s as of 1/1/16
EQ: 633 6 TU: 644 EX: 634 as of 3/11/17 via MyFico
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.