Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Starting Line Up of Charge/Credit Cards

tag
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

Your Starting Line Up of Charge/Credit Cards

I am trying to get a good idea of what to put in my "garden".

Please share your starting line up of credit/charge cards you love and use the most , thanks!!!

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Your Starting Line Up of Charge/Credit Cards

In my signature. My favorite definitely is Chase Freedom Visa followed by the BoA 1-2-3 Cash Rewards Visa. I get about $50-80/mo back in cash and charge about $1-3k per month.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 50
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

AMEX Zync  Charge builds the relationship with AMEX, and Zync Packs rock

AMEX BCE  or BCP if your spending supports it  rewards  + its AMEX backdating

Chase Freedom  Rewards  rotating catagories 5%

GE Paypal MC plus  rewards  $0 AF  (haven't tested this one yet but reported to be CLI friendly)

GE Mondey Bank Walmart     (free TU score if you go paperless) upto $60 cash back at walmart no fee  CLI friendly

GE Money Bank  Amazon    great prices, CLI friendly and 0% interest for 6 months on $150 and up purchases ( longer term 0% deals are availible)

Discover IT  - Don';t have this one but reported to be good

CIti HomeDepot if you own a house..  great CLI when needed 

It has cards from AMEX, VISA, MC, and Discover and a couple store cards good all around mix. Don't have any Citi MC cards yet so not recomending any yet, I'm sure others will chime in with Citi cards. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 50
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Cards and cl's are in my sig

Zync- use like a debit card. I mostly just run enough through it to keep it active since I feel that I have other cards with better rewards structures

BCE- I mostly use for groceries and gas when they aren't covered as 5% categories on discover it or chase freedom. I also use it for some non bonus 1% spending. Overall imo this is one of the best no af cards you can have. 

BofA- travel rewards. I just pc'ed to this card and haven't actually received yet. However, it's base of rewards rate is 1.5 percent plus a 10 percent yearly bonus if you bank with BofA so I'm thinking that I will use this card exclusively for non bonus categories.

Freedom- 5% bonus categories. It's also good to have handy for the moment and pop type places that only take visa and Mastercard

Discover It- 5% bonus categories. Discover also has the best online rewards mall of all ccc's called shopdiscover with cashback bonus ranging from 5-20%. They also have random periods of time throughout the year during which they give 2% back up to a certain spending level/ cap (usually $250).

All in all I don't think I really have favorite card as my decisions on which card to use any given time are predicated upon which card will give me the highest cash back.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 4 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just recently made some changes

Chase Sapphire/preferred - I used the sapphire all the time, so I upped it to preferred. I love the option of receiving a statement credit or a check at a rate of a cent per point.

Amex gold pr/zync - just "downgraded" my pr to zync. Felt that my rewards and options were just better with chase. I didnt use it very much. My end of year points got me less rewards than my af (not including bonus). Made the switch at the end of my free year. Would have cancelled all together but didn't want to lose my points. Verdict is out on the zync.

Amex blue cash - my first Amex. Used it all the time until the sapphire came in. Still have a couple subscriptions that auto pull from it. Basically only keep it around because I haven't felt like closing it.
Message 5 of 50
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Blue Cash preffered is by far my go to card, once i pc my sapphire to preffered then i will just use the BCP for groceries and pissibly gas when the 5% option isnt available.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 50
Quips
Regular Contributor

@angelclaudio wrote:

I am trying to get a good idea of what to put in my "garden".

Please share your starting line up of credit/charge cards you love and use the most , thanks!!!

For me - I use these the most:

US BANK Cash+ VISA: It has 5% back on Restaurants and Utility bills - plus a $25 bonus when you redeem $100 in rewards

AMEX BCP: 6% back on groceries, 3% on Gas with no limits - plus the $150 sign up bonus paid for 2 yrs worth of the annual fee

CostCo AMEX:  3% gas, 2% travel & Restaurants - plus we shop at Costco alot.

Chase Freedom: Use this when the 5% rotating categories make sense - especially for the 2 quarters where the bonus is for gas

Chase MP explorer - Wife uses this to manage her business expenses and we always fly united so the free checked bag is a nice perk.

I use the others in my wallet when it makes sense (Chase Marriott when staying at Marriotts etc)

FICO: EQ 769, TU 762 , EX ???

Message 7 of 50
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

I use my Zync for most things, my Discover for the 5% categories, and my Wells Fargo cash back Visa for places that don't take Amex.

I've also got a Citi Diamond Preferred that spends most of its time in the sock drawer, though I occasionally break it out when I'm out for the night; the ladies love a guy with a black credit card Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 50
Pworld
Regular Contributor

3 card Rotation

Amex Zync/Green Combo - Use for all my bills and most daily charges. Use the zync to take advantage of the packs and have my GREEN MR account tied to the Zync so all my points are MR not MRE. Also use the Sync promos.

Discover More - Take advantage of the rotating 5 percent categories, and also take advantage of the ShopDiscover especially for my addiction of sneakers and sports apparel and equipment (Nike, eastbay, finishline, footlocker sites)

Current EQ:809 EX: 808 TU:809

Amex Platinum/ NPSL | Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/18.1k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Discover IT/10.9K | Amex HHonors Surpass/9K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preferred/13K | Ink Business Preferred/13K
Message 9 of 50
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Chase Freedom (5% Categories and 1% on everything)

Discover More/It (5% Categories)

PSECU VISA (Low APR / High CL 9K)

AMEX Zync (The bill payer / entertainment card, gaining points for free airline tickets)

Barclaycard VISA (just in the mix, little things here and there)

Capital One NHC (the recurring charge card)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.