Established Member
recordaras

Your best (and worst) looking cards?

[ Edited ]

So, this isn't really a serious question, and I'm sure there have been plenty of similar threads in the past, but yet... Which cards are your personal favorites design-wise? And which ones are the ugly ducklings?

I have to admit that I don't have a single credit card that I would be able to call beautiful. My least favorite would have to be the Amex BCE - I was so excited to get that card, and yet so disappointed with its design! First of all, it's clear - the pictures give the impression of it being white, but it's not. I've swiped it about 4 times, and it's already thoroughly scratched. The big blue hologram thing also scratches like crazy, doesn't really have any interesting image in there (just a large blue shiny square with a tiny c in the middle) and to top it off, one of the edges of mine is crooked (yes, before you ask, I am OCD when it comes to symmetry) AND all of the numbers that are embossed on the clear parts are really difficult to read.

Oh, Amex, I still love you, but why did you think all this would be a good idea?..

And my current favorite is probably the Chase Freedom. Which is ironic, because in pictures it looked thoroughly boring, and I wasn't expecting much after the Chase Amazon card. However, the Freedom came as a nice surprise. I can't say it's a masterpiece, but I thought the blue-green color (which looks solid blue in pictures) and the green edge were very nice touches.

BoA Secured $500 (closed) | OneStopPlus $900 | Chase Amazon $2300 (AU) | Amex BCE $6000 |
Chase Freedom $3000 | BoA TravelRewards Signature Visa $5000 | CSP $11 000 | BCP $8000
Building credit since 04/2011 | CreditKarma 724 | CreditSesame 750 | Gardening since 01/31/2014
Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

Re: Your most (and least) good looking cards?

I liked the old Freedom design.

Scores 3/17/2014: TU FICO: 645 | EQ FICO: 674 | EX AMEX FICO: 662

In my new wallet: American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL | BankAmericard Cash Rewards: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1250 | Walmart: $900 | J.Crew $2250
Frequent Contributor
frugalQ

injustifiiable wrote:

Is this the way the Freedom looks now?  Mine is totally different.  Oh wait...mine isn't a signature, so maybe that's the difference.

My least favorite design card is the Amex BCE/BCP.  Like OP, I was disappointed when I got the card in the mail.  I expected it to be heavier and white...not clear.  But, it swipes, so I won't complain too much.

Capital One Platinum 0/2.5K - AmEx Green NPSL - Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 0/7K - Amex BCP 0/8.5K - Chase Freedom 0/3K - Discover IT 0/6.5K - LOC 0/2.5K
Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

frugalQ wrote:

injustifiiable wrote:

Is this the way the Freedom looks now?  Mine is totally different.  Oh wait...mine isn't a signature, so maybe that's the difference.

My least favorite design card is the Amex BCE/BCP.  Like OP, I was disappointed when I got the card in the mail.  I expected it to be heavier and white...not clear.  But, it swipes, so I won't complain too much.

No, this is the old one. The new one looks like this:

Signature or World would go below the Visa/MasterCard logo. I like that better than that awkward looking strip in the middle.

In my new wallet: American Express Premier Rewards Gold: NPSL | BankAmericard Cash Rewards: $2500 | BarclayCard Rewards Average: $2000 | Travelocity Rewards AMEX: $1050 | Discover IT: $1500 | Sportsman's Guide Visa: $3000 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $1250 | Walmart: $900 | J.Crew $2250
New Contributor
Peteyglad

recordaras wrote:

And my current favorite is probably the Chase Freedom. Which is ironic, because in pictures it looked thoroughly boring, and I wasn't expecting much after the Chase Amazon card. However, the Freedom came as a nice surprise. I can't say it's a masterpiece, but I thought the blue-green color (which looks solid blue in pictures) and the green edge were very nice touches.

Funny you should mention the green edge on the Freedom as I get more comoments on that feature than I do my CSP card.

Barclaycard Sallie Mae 3.63k | Discover It 4.75k | Citi Forward 4.9k | US Bank Cash+ 8k | US Bank REI 9.5k | BOA Better Balance Rewards 10k | CSP 11k | Fidelity AMEX 11.1k | AMEX BCP 13.9k | AMEX PRG NSPL
Frequent Contributor
hutchj

My favorite card design is either my Discover card, I have the mixtape design or my Amex BCE, lol.

My least favorite design is my Chase Sapphire, the pics of it made it look so pretty, but when I got it was just blah. And my Barclay Apple card isn't that grand. It just a simple white card, not spectacular.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Contributor
TheSpeculator

Love my Chase Sapphire. Very clean look. Amex PRG is decent. And lastly Cap1 lets me customize my image which is really cool.
__
Freedom, Sapphire, Slate - HHonors, PRG, BCE - Cap1 Platinum - Discover IT - Tiffany & Co - Jared - Best Buy Citi -
Valued Contributor
injustifiiable

I personalized my Capital One card. I'm into trains so I did it with a photo of one of my favorite locomotives.

The ugliest one would be my Credit One...lol. I can customize that one too but they have the nerve to want $10 to do so. SMH.

I have a few store cards, and they are all ugly as well for the record.

Established Member
recordaras

injustifiiable wrote:

Oh interesting, I hadn't seen that one!

BoA Secured $500 (closed) | OneStopPlus $900 | Chase Amazon $2300 (AU) | Amex BCE $6000 |
Chase Freedom $3000 | BoA TravelRewards Signature Visa $5000 | CSP $11 000 | BCP $8000
Building credit since 04/2011 | CreditKarma 724 | CreditSesame 750 | Gardening since 01/31/2014
Established Member
recordaras

[ Edited ]

Peteyglad wrote:

Funny you should mention the green edge on the Freedom as I get more comoments on that feature than I do my CSP card.

That one totally came as a surprise - I thought it would be as flat and boring-blue as it looks in the product images, but the green edge is neat! Not over the top, but still fun.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+