Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your credit card game plan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your credit card game plan?

I got the capital one cash rewards card last month. its a pretty nice card. Just low limits. After 6 months they up it.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JenniferinFL wrote:

Score simulator says I can hit 723 in a year, so, that's what I'm waiting for. I have 2 regular cards, Journey at $1000 and Playstation at $500 set to graduate to $1500 and $750 respectively. Then I have 5 WFNNB store cards ranging between credit limits of $250-$500.

I'm going to app again when all my inquiries and new accounts have hit 1 year old. My goals will probably be Discover More Student, Cap One Cash Rewards and a card with USAA. Probably also try for a GE product to see if I'm still blacklisted, probably Walmart or Lowes.

which score simulator are you using?

Message 22 of 29
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JenniferinFL wrote:

Score simulator says I can hit 723 in a year, so, that's what I'm waiting for. I have 2 regular cards, Journey at $1000 and Playstation at $500 set to graduate to $1500 and $750 respectively. Then I have 5 WFNNB store cards ranging between credit limits of $250-$500.

I'm going to app again when all my inquiries and new accounts have hit 1 year old. My goals will probably be Discover More Student, Cap One Cash Rewards and a card with USAA. Probably also try for a GE product to see if I'm still blacklisted, probably Walmart or Lowes.

which score simulator are you using?

The one here at MyFico on my Equifax credit report.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 23 of 29
tmbr10
Regular Contributor

This  is a great topic by the way. Its good to read about others' short/long term credit plans. There is always something to learn.

As for me.... I'm pretty much set on available credit. I have ~50000 in available credit across 6 cards and currently using about 2500 of it.

Sometime in 2014/2015 I will have several student loan accounts fall off of my report impacting my AAofA so next summer I plan to get another Amex with a backdate of 20 years to help offset the loss of the student loan accounts.

Other then that, I only foresee HP's for car loans and mortgages. Fingers Crossed.

Message 24 of 29
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Each slot in my credit card holder is filled so my game plan is to not applly for another credit card but to get increases overtime, let the inquiries fall off and increase AAOA. I have every card I ever wanted, now provided one of my banks decides to shut me down, the I'd apply for a new card to fill the empty slot :-)

Zero inquries on each report, that's what I'm aiming for.
Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 25 of 29
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I currently have an Amazon Store card (and AU on their Visa) as I shop on Amazon A LOT! I have a Wal-mart store card for the FICO score, as I do not shop there...but realize I'll have to buy something a couple of times per year.  I have a Belk store card (also GE like the previous 2 cards) and an AU on a Belk store card as well. I am also an AU on an Amex Plat. Skymiles card.

The above cards I do not see me getting rid of -- atleast anytime soon.

My orchard MC (unsecured) and Cap1 (secured) will get closed as soon as their AFs arrive.

My hopes is to app/approved for Amex Zync around/before this time next year so I can have it backdated to 2006 (my own skymiles card, they closed and I GW'd for derog removal w/ success)

Then I hope to app/approve for Southwest Visa w/ 2 free r/t flights, as I fly SWA far more than I fly delta (but I like accessing delta lounges)

Beyond that, I don't really see why I need any other forms of CCs.  Unless I really want to start playing in the miles/points games I read about everyday on the boarding area blog(s).

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 26 of 29
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

One of my dream cards is the JetBlue AMEX....It's totally hot. :-)

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 27 of 29
NikJ4
Established Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

In October, I'll do a happy dance due to having a the last late payment from 2005 fall off.

Over the next few years, while finishing school, get evrything paid down and start closing cards. I'll cut the total credit line down to around $15-20K between three cards.

+1

Message 28 of 29
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

In six months , I will apply for the Discover More card that I got denied for now. I will also ask for CLI on my existing cards. 

Current Cards:
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.