Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your first and highest CL leap ...

tag
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Your first and highest CL leap ...

My highest CL currently is Amex SPG at $27K.  Before that, my highest was $10K.  I had $10K on a Chase buy.com visa and a BofA US Air MC.  Both of those started at $5K and grew to $10K on their own over several years.

In 2008 I went through a period of unemployment and fell behind on all my credit cards and my mortgage.  My CCs were all closed by the creditors, but I managed to find work again before anything was charged off/went to collections/went into foreclosure.  But having gone 150 days late on at least one account, and 60-120 days late on six other accounts, my scores obviously were not very good.  Once I paid everything current, I got a capital one platinum CC with $39 AF.  I believe the initial CL was $500 and it was in their credit steps program.  At the time, my scores couldn't have been much above 600, if even that high. 

Almost two years later, I applied for the Amex PRG and was approved.  At the time, my EQ FICO was about 650.  I did not know it at the time, but my EX FICO currently sits about 50 points higher than my EQ FICO, so I am sure that helped with the approval.  I used the PRG fairly heavily for 6 months.  My scores continued to improve because my lates were all aging past the two year mark.  I then applied for the SPG card and was given an initial CL of $19.6K.  At the time of application, my EQ and TU scores had cracked 700 if I remember correctly, and I estimate that my EX FICO was around 750.  I still had significant lates on 7 accounts, but they were over two years old.  By that time my Cap One card had grown to a $2500 CL, but that was the only CL for an open tradeline on my report.  I also had the Amex PRG, and I had the closed accounts with the $10K CL.  I put a fairly large amount of business expenses on my CCs, so in my case, I think the heavy usage with the Amex PRG played a significant role in the initial CL.  I also think the fact that my EX report scores so much higher than EQ and TU helps, since that is what Amex pulls.

6 months later, I asked Amex to increase the CL to $25K and was approved.  Just last month, Amex gave me an auto CLI to $27K. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 31
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

For me the jump was crazy. I had had discover since 1999. It grew through auto clis to 4200. Then this yr chase gave me a 5k limit on amazon and amex gave me a NPSL that ive used to a Max of 5200. Nfcu gave me the 22k limit in march. I think my perfect cc payment history and income helped. I had sent in bank statements and investment statements.that showed over 100k in liquid assets for my truck refi and they approved me for the card using that info. I think the higher limit is just because ive kept my house in good financial shape. We bought a house we could easily afford on just one income and. We only have 1/3 vehicles that still have a note. I'm curious to find out if chase and discover eventually raise my limits. My high balance on the.cash.rewards card has.been 7k. I'm sitting at 3k now and it will be at 0 at the end of this month.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 12 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

My largest CL leap was with Bank of America back in 2007.
Previously I had a Platinum Visa with a 10k limit from 2004-2007, a Visa gold with a 4k limit in 2001-2003, and a vanilla Visa with a 1k limit in 2000. I started doing a lot more travelling so I applied for my US Airways Visa Signature and was instantly approved with $18,200.
At that point my FICO was ~780 and I'd been pushing through about 50-60k a year on my platinum card. I also had about $250,000 invested with them as a wealth mamagement client. I'm fairly certain all of those helped.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 13 of 31
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

My biggest break came two-fold.

Prior to entering prime territory, my highest limit was $2,500 with Juniper.

First, when my credit improved significantly, I was approved for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card. (BK from 2002 and 2 CO's were still showing at this time; FICO around 630; AAOA 6 yrs.)

After having this card for six months, I applied and was approved for the Chase United MileagePlus Explorer card with a $10,000 limit. (Note that I also had cleaned up BK and CO's from reports; FICO around 760; AAOA 6 yrs.) This was a major break through from low limits.

Next, I started applying for Amex revolvers and was approved for BCP and Hilton Surpass with $20,000 limits each. I think these limits really set the pace for future limits on my high end cards.

During this time, I also apped for the Chase Sapphire Preferred. Approved for $5,000 since the United card was new. After 3 months, I apped for a CLI and was increased to $20,000 limit!

YMMV, but Amex and Chase have been great to me. (And the secret is that they compete with each other! When you cross a major hurdle with one, you can be sure that the other is close behind.)

Honorable mention - Barclays has also shown love. I recently went from a $5,000 limit on my Ring card to $14,000 in the span of 1 month!

Hope this helps! My progress has been helped tremendously by these boards!
Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 14 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@hotpoint wrote:
I have noticed many of you have very high CL, i.e.. 10k, 15k, 22k, etc. I am curious to learn more about your profile before you received such a CL, and you were trusted w/such a leap. What was your CL before you leaped into that zone listed above, your scores, AAOA, BK/or deleted, homeowner/renter, etc? Please share any information that would assist someone w/their journey. Purpose: many of us are learning and would like to learn from those that have made the leap -- my highest CL is 5k w/USAA, I am in the process of paying my CC down, lowering A.P.R. (w/success), and preparing for the CC that fit the best. I have no inquires for the last three years. I am hoping to be below 20% by October 2012. BTW, Congratulation, and thanks for sharing your knowledge . . . .

STILL waiting for a high leap here....Smiley Very Happy  

My question is -- do you really USE your $20,000 + limit every month?  

Message 15 of 31
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@hotpoint wrote:
I have noticed many of you have very high CL, i.e.. 10k, 15k, 22k, etc. I am curious to learn more about your profile before you received such a CL, and you were trusted w/such a leap. What was your CL before you leaped into that zone listed above, your scores, AAOA, BK/or deleted, homeowner/renter, etc? Please share any information that would assist someone w/their journey. Purpose: many of us are learning and would like to learn from those that have made the leap -- my highest CL is 5k w/USAA, I am in the process of paying my CC down, lowering A.P.R. (w/success), and preparing for the CC that fit the best. I have no inquires for the last three years. I am hoping to be below 20% by October 2012. BTW, Congratulation, and thanks for sharing your knowledge . . . .

Sometimes. In December I typically push through 40-50k, but otherwise it averages around 5-6k per month.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 31
hotpoint
Regular Contributor

Thanks to you all . . . this is great info and helpful to us all.  Sanjee, very interesting journey.  I have read throughout this forum that Amex is challenging to obtain w/a BK -- thanks for breaking the curse.

HotPoint

EQ -- 685 ... 7/2/2012

TU -- 687 ... 6/15/2012

EX -- 694 ... 6/29/2012 Plus -- 780 vantage Score 6/15/2012

all wounds heal except those that you pick at

Message 17 of 31
SanjeevR
Regular Contributor

@hotpoint wrote:

Thanks to you all . . . this is great info and helpful to us all.  Sanjee, very interesting journey.  I have read throughout this forum that Amex is challenging to obtain w/a BK -- thanks for breaking the curse.

HotPoint

EQ -- 685 ... 7/2/2012

TU -- 687 ... 6/15/2012

EX -- 694 ... 6/29/2012 Plus -- 780 vantage Score 6/15/2012

all wounds heal except those that you pick at

No problem. Glad to help!

At the time of applying for my first Amex, I had not signed up for these boards yet. So, I had no awareness of the Amex/BK fear. Fortunately, I was approved. Amex has been great to me. Gotta love Amex (and Chase)!

To the other OP, no I never even come close to the $20,000 limits on my cards. But, because I have high limits, I'm not afraid to use my cards. I'm currently carrying about $8,000 in debt, but it's only 7% utilization. High limits are all part of leveraging the credit scoring system to your advantage!

Starting scores: Around 630 (Sep 2011)
Current FICO scores: TU ‘08 792 (Walmart) • EQ 765 • EX 771 (Amex)
Prime cards: JP Morgan Select (30K) • HHonors Reserve (30K) • Chase United MileagePlus Explorer (20K) • Chase Sapphire Preferred (20K) • Amex Hilton Honors Surpass (20K) • Amex BCP (20K) • Barclay Ring (20K) • Citi Thank You Premier MC/Visa (16K Combined) • Discover Escape (10K) • Amex SPG (5K) • Amex Premier Rewards Gold • US Bank Cash+ (5K+???)
Message 18 of 31
bribro
Valued Contributor

I started with a Citi Student Dividend card in college way back in 2005 - this was in the old days of credit where CCCs had kiosks on college campuses and were approving basically everyone. That student card graduated to an MC Platinum, then MC World, and eventually MC World Eite, and the CL went from $500 to $20k. I received occasional auto-CLIs, but would also log in to manually check the CL and request increases if the option was available. Now that I have a decent CL it helps me leverage other CCC into matching it. It just took time and discipline.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 19 of 31
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@hotpoint wrote:

I use it every month by keeping my utilization down without having to worry as much about paying before statement closes.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.