cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your heavy spending card? Do you have one?

tag
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Your heavy spending card? Do you have one?

I use a nice mix of about 7 credit cards, mostly for rewards. However, my main spending card is my BoA Visa. It gives 2% general cashback which is really nice. The other reason is that no matter what I charge on it, it will ALWAYS go through. It doesn't matter if I am abroad or in the U.S. This card has worked for me without a hitch.I've reaped hundreds in rewards money and have enjoyed the ease of use. And I just don't feel nervous charging bigger amounts to it. I feel nervous about using my Amex with bigger amounts or out-of-the-ordinary purchases even though I have many years of good payment history with Amex and never saw any adverse action. However, Amex is missing out on a lot of my business. They only get my $400 a month grocery purchases. Plus, Statefarm (our insurer for most things) doesn't accept CC payments anyway.

But my BoA card is my favorite: I've paid insurance bills, utility bills, car repair bills etc. with this card. It always works.

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
p-
Valued Contributor

Re: Your heavy spending card? Do you have one?

Mostly the Chase Freedom, for the 5% categories, then Cap1 and Zync.  I rotate the cards so that I always PIF before statement cut.  It might be OCD.

Message 2 of 55
laz98
Senior Contributor

off topic:  just wanted to say i pay our state farm bill online with a CC Smiley Happy

by heavy spending do you only mean high amounts, or heavy like you are just going to have to carry a balance for a little while?

Message 3 of 55
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Can't wait till I have a heavy spending card. My goal "A" card is the Chase Freedom, which I'll use every day. Planning on pushing approximately $1500 per month through it.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 4 of 55
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

My heaving spending card is my discover more card at the moment.... trying to fullfill the 1k requirement per month for 5 months to get a $150 bonus. Woot!

Message 5 of 55
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

I "currently" have Discover as my "heavy use" card  as it gives me the most rewards currently as well as having the highest credit limit.  I use my chase freedom, but sparingly as the limit is only 500 and hard to keep utilization down working with that low of a limit. Zync I use ONLY for something that I had intended on paying cash or putting on my debit card. (which is basically what I do with all of my cards, but the higher $$ items I try and push through AMEX to build a strong history with them since they use their "internal scoring system" and large purchases quickly paid off, I am hoping will get their attention and recognition.

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 6 of 55
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@laz98 wrote:

off topic:  just wanted to say i pay our state farm bill online with a CC Smiley Happy

by heavy spending do you only mean high amounts, or heavy like you are just going to have to carry a balance for a little while?

I mean high amounts.

Message 7 of 55
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

My heaving spending card is my discover more card at the moment.... trying to fullfill the 1k requirement per month for 5 months to get a $150 bonus. Woot!

That's 15% cashback. Pretty good! Was that a sign-up offer?

Message 8 of 55
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I put almost all of my purchases through my Amex Clear and Chase Freedom. If I make a big purchase that I know I'm not going to be able to PIF that month, I'll put that on my Freedom and carry the balance for a couple of months as it's my lowest APR at 9.24%.

I don't like to stop the earning of the points though so I'll stop using the Freedom and put everything through Amex, or I'll Blueprint the large purchase on the Freedom and continue to use it. It just depends on my utilization at the time. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 9 of 55
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

That's 15% cashback. Pretty good! Was that a sign-up offer?

Nope - randomly one day I got a mailer from them about the offer. It was targeted.

Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.