Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your most hateful creditor?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Your most hateful creditor?

So what is interesting is that people ding Barclays not because of what they actually did (to that person) but because this group had (IMO) massively overstated the certainity of "CLD for no reason" type of thing and people decided that they didn't need to deal with the stress.    Whereas in the real world lots of people have Barclays cards and don't realize the terrible danger they are in!

The dangers (or successes) of group think....

Message 21 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

So what is interesting is that people ding Barclays not because of what they actually did (to that person) but because this group had (IMO) massively overstated the certainity of "CLD for no reason" type of thing and people decided that they didn't need to deal with the stress.    Whereas in the real world lots of people have Barclays cards and don't realize the terrible danger they are in!

The dangers (or successes) of group think....

Barclays doesn't give me CLI either and I've had 2 of their cards for years no automatic CLI and have been denied for asking to raise my CLI so perhaps many on here have valid points for myself I'm thinking about closing some accounts not sure though need to really think about it.

Message 22 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me it is CItibank. I used to love them which is why I have three cards with them (one was an AT&T Universal Card which was issued by a bank that Citibank absorbed after I became a member-that card is now a TYP).

First, they nerfed the Dividend card not once but twice rendering it essentially a 1% cashback card (used to offer 5% on gas, groceries and drug stores up to $350 a year; then lowered it to 2% but added utilities; then they made it a cheap knock off of Discover and Freedom with frankly (for me anyway) worthless 5% rotating categories.

Then, during the Great Recession they CLD my Dividend card from $10,500 to $8,100. The letter they sent stated that they had noticed that I was not utilizing my full credit line anyway and that were reducing it-at the time it was my main card. I called foul because I rarely ever touched my Citibank Visa or AT&T Universal card but those cards were untouched; in fact 4 months after the CLD on my Dividend they offered me a CLI on AT&T Universal Card. Smiley Mad 

Also, during the Great Recession, Citibank raised the APR on all three of my accounts to over 18% (no lates, low utilization..basically I have been a member of the 800 club for over 13 years). CItibank was not the only bank to do this to people of course, and that is why Rate Reevaluation exists. They eventually lowered my rates again but only because they had to with the Dodd-Frank/CARD Act laws. 

Speaking of Dodd Frank and CARD Act...they were using that law as a reason to not upgrade accounts, PC accounts , lower APRs or change CL's for quite a while. I do not know if they still do this since I rarely use my Citibank cards anymore and stopped asking for anything from them. 

I have tried in vein to get the 17% APR on my former AT&T Universal Card/TYP card by calling, going onto Twitter/Facebook etc, they won't budge. This card  has an APR tied to LIBOR instead of Prime and I think that is why they won't do it. 

They forced my Diamond Preferred Visa (my first ever Visa card when I was 19) into a MasterCard this year. Big deal, cry me a river many of you will say. But It was my first Visa card and I wanted to keep it that way. I called and asked to change it to a Hilton HHonors or Costco and they refused (essentially I was just trying to get it back to a Visa). 

So these reasons and others is what has left a bad taste in my mouth for Citibank. However, recently they kind of redeemed themselves. I received an email survey from them regarding a recent visit to my online account management on the DP card. I crucified them. Well, someone from their Lexington, KY executive office called me, asked me questions about my responses. She looked at my accounts and offered me an APR reduction on my DP from 12.99% to 8.99%. I do not carry balances if I can help it, but I appreciated that they contacted me and offered me something.

Additionally, I am currently on a 0% purchase promo through December on my Dividend and a new 0% purchase promo through April 2018 on my TYP. So every time I think about closing these bad boys Citibank does something that makes me change my mind (that, and the fact that my Citibank cards are 19. 18 and 17 years old-so they are hard to close for me). 

Message 23 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

My worst is also my best: Synchrony. Old Navy card will not grow... at all... period, while my Walmart card is growing faster than the national debt.
Message 24 of 84
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Least favorite cc issuer: Chase.
Most favorite cc issuers: the ones for all of my CU cards, BoA, Cap1, FNBO, US Bank.

Message 25 of 84
iced
Valued Contributor

Though I don't hate them, Capital One would qualify as my least favorite card issuer. I found their cards wanting and their customer service varied between uncertain and toxic. Capital One and I are both happy to not have me as a client.

On the other end of the spectrum is Chase. They have always accomodated me, been prompt and friendly on phone calls, returning calls when promised, and have granted any request I've made of them except reclassifying merchants into what I felt were more appropriate categories (and I can't fault them for not doing this just for me). They were one of my first cards and they'll be my last card.

Message 26 of 84
sunkissed
Established Contributor

I am thoroughly enjoying this thread! Kudos to SlightlyRemoved for starting it Smiley Happy

I can’t say that I have a “most hateful creditor”. Most that I’ve done business with have been on my praise list and my sh*t list from time to time. I have found that how I am treated usually corresponds to what’s going on in my credit file and/or what’s going on with the economy. Sometimes bad things for seemingly no reason. As I near the end of my rebuild (hope for squeaky clean reports 1st quarter 2018), I aim for a diversified credit portfolio to help weather the whims of my creditors.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. When a creditor takes adverse action, it’s easy to feel targeted. It helps to hear the stories of others.

NFCU Flagship $32K | NFCU Cashrewards $42K | Discover IT $39K | SECU Visa $20K | Chase SW $24k | CSR $15K | Chase Bonvoy $11.5K | Chase Freedom $11.5K | Chase Amazon Visa 8.5K | AMEX Bonvoy $18.1K | AMEX Hilton Surpass $15K | AMEX Hilton Aspire $24.4K | AMEX Gold | Aviator Red $16K | Uber Visa 10k | Citi TY Premier $24.6K | BoA Premium Rewards 35k | BoA Cash Rewards Visa $31.5k | BoA Cash Rewards MC $23k | US Bank Cash+ $10k | USAA AMEX $6K | Cap1QS $11K | BJs MC $27.6K | Walmart MC $5.1K | Loft MC $25,000 | Macy’s Store/Amex $20K/$1K | BR Visa $10K | JCP $1K | VS $3.2K | Home Depot $5K | Lowes $8.5K | Target $14.5k
Message 27 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

synchrony for me:

walmart card- SL $600 -after a year of much use they still wouldnt give me a CLI - closed

Athleta - SL $500 - same as above

Amazon store card -SL $900 -lots of use always PIF-just tried at 6 months through creditsolutions for CLI - nope

CareCredit - SL $1500 - told by 2 chat reps within the 48 hours “they dont give CLI that soon”... just got my first statement will try again in 3 months

BofA hates me because my exhusband burned them AFTER we were divorced.. but because my name USED to be on the account, to this day(10 years later) they wont give me a checking account

i also agree with the previous poster that cap1s customer service had become unpredictable and choosy

also have to add- i HATE  hsbc’s payment system.. cant make a payment on the mobile app and can only make payments from MY checking account(have to prove your an owner on the account) and so cant use bf’s.. smh.. seriously considering closing their cards solely because its a struggle to make a payment

Message 28 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I found myself within a few months of retirement, and with lingering debts due to my youngest child's needing 6.5 years to compete his 4 year undergraduate degree.  

Being a youngest child who created a very similar situation for his father, and who took an embarrassingly longer time than 6.5 years to complete it, let me apologize on behalf of all slacker can't quite get their s*ht together children. Sorry dad! 

Message 29 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grabiela wrote:

I hate chase. They approved me for a card and on the next week they close it.

What made them close it after a week?

Message 30 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.