cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your most unexpected Credit Card approval?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Your most unexpected Credit Card approval?

A NFCU after they dropped me several month's before. I reapplied 6 months later and was approved for a $4500. Then as silly as it is, a BELK card in March.I did not think I would be approved AT ALL but the lady said I would still get the discount for applying, so I said "what the heck". I was approved for $850. I was so excited. I never used it again after that though. 

Message 61 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

My most unexpected so far has been the PayPal 2 percent card for 3k limit at this early stage in credit.
Message 62 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had 3 Cap 1 cards with CL of $1200, $1200 and $1600.  (merger from Merrick Bank etc.)  My credit score had gone up so I app'd CLI on all 3 cards at the same time I app'd for Cap 1 Venture.  I was declined on all 3 CLI over about 3 days.  The next day I was approved for Venture with $12k SL.  I then combo'd the two smaller cards to make my limit on the Venture $14,400.  The last one can't combo for some reason.

Go figure????

Message 63 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for the Fidelity Rewards Visa on a whim, got approved for $17.5K!!  Nearly fell out of my chair on that one.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 64 of 69
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

None because I do my research here on myFICO and other internet places. Smiley Happy
"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 65 of 69
Uh

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature though Chase. I had accidentally burned Chase in the past after they bought out another account I'd had. Never in a million years did I think I'd get back in with them. I would never ever apply for any card directly at Chase.com, and was done caring about INQs at the time of applying. Mainly wanted to see the reasons for denial... if they remembered me. Shocked at the approval for sure, not only because they said yes but also because I didn't realize signature cards came as low as $500!

Gardening until 2019

Ficos low 600s
Message 66 of 69
TaterDawg
New Contributor

Toss up between three of them.

Three years ago I had about $11k SL spread across 5 cards (including CareCredit, Kohls, and Amazon store), with the single high being my Chase Amazon at $4k. I applied for the Citi DC, got it for $3600 (meh), then decided to go for the Discover IT BT and was shocked to get a $10k limit.

#2 was short-lived. Almost a year ago I was approved for a Barclays Cashforward for $15k, which was my highest limit by $5k at the time. Didn't last long, as Barclays screwed my over by dropping my limit to $4800 (exactly what I owed) after I did their Balance transfer offer.

#3 just got approved for the Paypal 2% cashback card at $8k. Sort of surprised to get approved, with all the new accounts I've recently added, but even more surprised at the limit, which seemed a little higher than most were reporting on this forum.

As of 12/11/2023: FICO8- EQ- 828, TU-820, EX-810 - FICO9- EQ- 853, TU- 851, EX- 820 - FICO10- EQ- 822, TU-815, EX-787

* DCU Platinum $10K * USAA Rewards Sig Visa $18k * Chase Amazon Rewards Visa $7k * Kohls $3k * Amazon Store $10k * Citi DC $5.8k * Discover IT $5.8k * AmEx EveryDay $4.1k * Chase Freedom $3k * CapOne WEMC $10k * Barclay Cashforward $6.9k * Citi Premier $3.6k * USAA AmEx Cashback Rewards $18k * BoA Platinum Plus $15k * USBank Kroger 1-2-3 $10.5k * Amex Hilton Honors $8.7k * PenFed Platinum Rewards $10k * PayPal Credit $5.3k * NFCU GoRewards $18.6k * Walmart MC $10k * AMEX BCP $5K * 5/3 Bank Truly Simple $4.5k * AMEX Gold* CapOne Venture $10K* Chase Southwest RR $7.9k* Citi Costco $7k* Sam's Club MC $10k*
Message 67 of 69
Journeygod
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I saw a thread of the same name posted in 2014, but the replies had been turned off, so I was unable to bump it.

What are some of your most unexpected or surprising CC Approvals?  Whether it be due to Low FICO, UTI, Low Income, Blacklisting, recent CLIs, INQ, Collections, etc...

December 17, 2016

Alliant CU approval: $30,000

Message 68 of 69
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I first got my Discover It card, I was approved for $8,900. I wasn't surprised by the approval but the SL because at that point, the only two credit cards I ever had were two student cards with low limits that had been charged off ages ago. I didn't have any credit cards at that point and just assumed that Discover would hedge their bets and give me a low limit. My FICO scores were good at that point because I was paying off my student loans on time but I was still surprised.

Honestly, my latest credit card approvals have also been a little unexpected. I applied for the CSP and the Cap1 Venture because I wanted a rewards card. I figured if one rejected me, the other might accept me. CK said my approval odds for the Cap1 was fair but that my odds for the CSP were good. Plus, when I applied for both neither gave me an instant approval. So I just kinda assumed that I was rejected since my credit scores were good but not great and my income is a little low. I have low UTI but lots of student debt as well as a car loan. I'm grateful for all the approvals to say the least. 

Message 69 of 69
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.